• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a4ld to m5od swap on 2.9 v6

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
have finally found an 4wd m5od with the 2.9 bellhousing that i can get and rebuild. what are all of the ins and outs of taking the a4ld out and replacing it with the m5od, the truck it came off of has the automatic “shift on the fly” transfer case motor and it’s a bronco ii instead of a ranger, these are the only differences between the vehicles. absolutely any information on this topic would be very very appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There was never an M5R1 4x4 with 2.9l bell housing, just 4.0l bell housing but the same pattern, lol

The current transfer case will bolt up to the 4x4 M5R1, and the 4WD controls will work same as before

You should use a 4.0l flywheel and clutch on the 2.9l engine with M5R1

You will need the clutch/brake pedal assembly from/for 1990
And clutch master and slave kit

If you have a column shifter you may what to get manual trans column, but optional

The Computer won't like the fact that the A4LD is now unplugged so will turn on the CEL(check engine light) but thats all it will do, engine should run same as before
You can source a 1990 2.9l manual trans computer at your leisure or not at all

The A4LD has a 4 or 5 wire NSS(neutral safety switch), just above the shifter arm, 2 of the wires are for reverse(backup) lights, they will need to be connected to the M5R1's reverse light switch
Usually Purple/orange(12v, key on) wire and a Black/pink wire(out to lights)
There is no "order" on the switch, its just an open or closed switch, lights off or lights on

The 2 or 3 other wires can just be twisted together, they are for the starter motor activation
Usually Pink and Red/blue wires
You can install a clutch switch, to re-instate the No Start unless "in neutral"(clutch pedal down is "neutral" in a manual trans vehicle)
The wiring and connector is there for the clutch switch, just has a "jumper" connector in place, pull it out and plug in connector to clutch switch
Leave wires by transmission twisted together

Last edited:

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
The was never an M5R1 4x4 with 2.9l bell housing, just 4.0l bell housing but the same pattern, lol

The current transfer case will bolt up to the 4x4 M5R1, and the 4WD controls will work same as before

You should use a 4.0l flywheel and clutch on the 2.9l engine with M5R1

You will need the clutch/brake pedal assembly from/for 1990
And clutch master and slave kit

If you have a column shifter you may what to get manual trans column, but optional

The Computer won't like the fact that the A4LD is now unplugged so will turn on the CEL(check engine light) but thats all it will do, engine should run same as before
You can source a 1990 2.9l manual trans computer at your leisure or not at all

The A4LD has a 4 or 5 wire NSS(neutral safety switch), just above the shifter arm, 2 of the wires are for reverse(backup) lights, they will need to be connected to the M5R1's reverse light switch
Usually Purple/orange(12v, key on) wire and a Black/pink wire(out to lights)
There is no "order" on the switch, its just an open or closed switch, lights off or lights on

The 2 or 3 other wires can just be twisted together, they are for the starter motor activation
Usually Pink and Red/blue wires
You can install a clutch switch, to re-instate the No Start unless "in neutral"(clutch pedal down is "neutral" in a manual trans vehicle)
The wiring and connector is there for the clutch switch, just has a "jumper" connector in place, pull it out and plug in connector to clutch switch
Leave wires by transmission twisted together
thank you so much for breaking these things down for me, i will definitely yoink the computer out of the bronco ii, when i put it in the truck and go into 4wd with the new computer and my manual t case, will the 4x4 and low range light still come on my dash or is there more wiring to be done? also what’s the difference between 4.0 and 2.9 flywheel and clutch? is it just beefier or something? what do you need to take out to get to the pedal assembly? can you do it without taking the column apart? thank you again for your info and time!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a manual transfer case then there is a 2 wire switch on drivers side near the shift linkage of transfer case, the switch is the ground for the two 4WD lights on the dash, 1 ground wire per bulb
As long as it gets hooked back up the lights will work

Make sure the M5R1 has the 2 mounting holes for the 4WD manual shifter, not all did, the bungs are there just not drilled or tapped

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
If you have a manual transfer case then there is a 2 wire switch on drivers side near the shift linkage of transfer case, the switch is the ground for the two 4WD lights on the dash, 1 ground wire per bulb
As long as it gets hooked back up the lights will work

Make sure the M5R1 has the 2 mounting holes for the 4WD manual shifter, not all did, the bungs are there just not drilled or tapped
why would i want to get a 4.0 clutch/flywheel? also where is the ECU located in these trucks?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals