• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Whining Pretty Loud and Also Weird Whining Pattern

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My '86 Ranger 2wd 2.9L with the A4LD has either started whining louder recently or I just never noticed it, but it's loud enough to be concerning. I can hear it echo off other cars at a stop light, in the garage, and also just standing outside while its idling. About half the fluid is brand new, doesn't smell burnt at all and is only slightly darker than new fluid. Not low on fluid either. I put in some Lucas Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner because it was $10 and people said they had good results with it quieting down whine, even if the results were small. 50ish miles later and it doesn't seem to have done anything. I highly doubt the Lucas has anything to do with it, but I wanted to mention it. Anyway, my bigger concern is that after the 20ish mile drive I took, the whining has a weird intermittent pattern now. It doesn't slip, shifts through all the gears pretty good. Reverse and 1 sometimes shift a little hard but other than that, no issues shifting.

Last edited:

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Power steering pump?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Trans pump bearings. ???? Just a guess but aren’t they all until the issue is resolved.

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What steps have you taken to be sure that it's the transmission making that noise and not something else?

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What steps have you taken to be sure that it's the transmission making that noise and not something else?
I can hear it better when I get closer to the transmission and you can't hear it nearly as much when in the engine bay. I went around the engine bay already and nothing in there is making noises like what noise is shown in the video. I just don't know of anything else it could be if its not coming from the engine bay and also gets louder when getting closer to the transmission. I can barely hear it over my exhaust and the wind while driving so I couldn't tell you if it changes at all at different speeds, but I can say that I hear it in all gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals