• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS Problem

RedRangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have an '02 Ranger FX4 (manual). Lately when I turn sharp to the right into a parking space and come to a stop the ABS has been pumping before the truck stops. This is on dry pavement, so the truck isn't actually slipping in any way. It does not do this if I turn sharp to the left and come to a stop. The ABS light is not lit on the dash, and the bulb is good since it comes on when I initially start the truck. Would I be correct in assuming that this is probably a bad ABS sensor? I know there is one on the rear diff which gets dirty and sometimes needs cleaning. I haven't tried this yet, but the fact that it only has this problem turning to the right and not the left leads me to believe it might be one of the wheel sensors up front? Any thoughts?

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i am no expert, but the ABS works as a sensor pressed into your steering knuckle. it reads the teeth as they pass by as the wheel turns (magnetic fields).
the fact it only happens turning one way and not another concerns me.
i would first check the sensor and see if it is loose or dirty. i have a 95 ranger and it was a VERY tiny bolt holding it in then it pulled right out.
if that doesnt fix it,you have a bigger problem.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Typically as the wheel bearing wears the shavings contaminate the abs speed sensors and will cause this. My opinion, drive it till the bearing starts making some noise, or if it bothers you that much, replace the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Typically as the wheel bearing wears the shavings contaminate the abs speed sensors and will cause this. My opinion, drive it till the bearing starts making some noise, or if it bothers you that much, replace the wheel bearing/hub assembly.
its the brake rotor that causes metal shavings. all you have to do is remove the sensor and clean off the metal shavings.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The ABS tone ring on his year truck is integral to the hub/bearing assembly. The brake rotor could not possible get metal shavings on the sensor...

As said, this is usually an indication of a problem with the hub assembly.

RedRangerSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved! I was able to replace the speed sensor without needing to replace the whole bearing/hub assembly. I found another post in the forums from a guy who had the same problem when coming to a stop turning left, and it turned out his left front speed sensor was bad. Since mine was doing it turning right, I assumed it was the right front sensor, which was indeed correct. There is a pick-and-pull salvage yard close by that I pulled a used sensor for $7! It comes with a 30 day warranty too. Although they didn't have any Rangers with 4 wheel ABS, they had dozens of explorers with it which use the same sensors.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got it fixed. I was hoping you didnt get a brand new speed sensor as they can cost just as much as the whole wheel bearing/hub assembly.

brock71

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem. Is the sensor easy to get at? Need to remove the brake caliper ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals