• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ac help

just truckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6inch suspension 3inch body
Tire Size
33 12.50 15
Hi guys I am having a problem I have a 90 ranger with the 2.9 I am replacing my ac compressor and acumulator and office tube my system was already changed over to 134 buy the po my question is that I don't know where to put the oil in the compressor or how much the sticker on it dose not say what side to put it in and how much I checked everywhere and found nothing can someone please help me also the acumulator how much and where do u fill it at do I take the scrader valve out or do I pour it in where the I guess the fat hose is any help is appt thanks

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always put the intact system under a vacuum, then use the low side servicing hose to suck the oil in. My hoses have a shutoff valve, which I close. Put the hose in the oil bottle, open the valve and let it suck in 4 oz for a compressor change. Or, you can use this the compressor running to suck in a can with a cheap servicing kit hose. Oil goes into the low side (big tube).

If you aren't putting it under a vacuum, you should. Since its been open to atmosphere, you should replace the filter dryer, or vacuum it for over an hour with the vacuum pump running.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
1990 2.9L w/FS-6 comp = 32 oz refrigerant + 10oz oil.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1990 2.9L w/FS-6 comp = 32 oz refrigerant + 10oz oil.
http://www.autoacforum.com/speclisting.pdf < confirms your post of total system quantities, BUT if all he replaced was a compressor/orifice screen/filter dryer AND he did not REMOVE and FLUSH the condensor and evaporator and lines, there will be a lot of residual oil still present. Adding 10 more oz. on top of the residual puts him in peril of slugging/hydrolocking his new compressor.

THAT'S why I said 4 oz. It's a safe amount (40% of total capacity) given his circumstance.

We both know there is a LOT more to A/C servicing than what typically gets posted here at TRS. :icon_pepsi:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I guess I figured it would be standard practice to fully flush out the remainder of the A/C system if a compressor has failed (except for the condenser which should be replaced, not flushed, as it's next to impossible to get all the debris from a failed comp out of it's core). If the OP has not done this, then I would recommend he do so. Not doing so is quite likely to lead to the new comp failing in short order as well (that is if the orifice tube screen doesn't get all clogged up first).

Great link BTW (www.autoacforum.com). :icon_thumby: I made great use of that site back when I did the A/C on mine in 2008.

just truckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6inch suspension 3inch body
Tire Size
33 12.50 15
Hey guy's sorry for the late response but thanks for the help I changed my compressor and accumulator and orfice tube I flushed every thing but since my system was not bad it was pretty damn clean but anyway I got it back together and vacuumed down and charge now its back to ice cold anyway tganks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals