• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aerostar 8.8 swap

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well I mounted my fender flares the other day and came to the realization that the current 8.8 isn't wide enough to make the tires and flares look good... (mounted are 34x10.5 LTB's, I wanted fairly skinny tires for better performance under varrying conditions)

I didn't want to use wheel spacers or rims with greater offset to bring them out more because I don't think that's a wise route to go, more stress and possible breakage on the axles shafts.

I went to the wrecker yesterday with my trusty tape measure and decided that I'm going to throw in an 8.8 out of an aerostar. The exploder diff measured roughly 51 inches from backing plate to backing plate, the aerostar was 54 inches. Mind you the aerostar diff has a bunch of extra do-dads that I'll be cutting off with the plasma torch. I'm also going to be moving the rear shocks and relocating them outside the rear frame rails and welding in some shock towers. I don't like the current configuration where the shock tabs hang under the axle and are a potential point of hang up. I'll takes some pics as I progress along.

Has anybody done a swap of this nature before? I've search several threads but didn't see any.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You could also try a Lincoln MarkVIII axle. Most if not all have disc brakes. Unfortunatly it will be wider than the front. The explorer 8.8 works out to the same as the D35 for WMS-WMS.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should keep the coil springs in the rear and go to a 3 link setup with coils!

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You could also try a Lincoln MarkVIII axle. Most if not all have disc brakes. Unfortunatly it will be wider than the front. The explorer 8.8 works out to the same as the D35 for WMS-WMS.
It's got an exploder 8.8 in it and is still a few inches shorter in the rear.:dunno: I considered going disc's, but again, it means more work than I'm prepared to do right now. I've yet to take it out for a shake down run, so I'm kinda itching to finally enjoy the fruits of my labor!

You should keep the coil springs in the rear and go to a 3 link setup with coils!
I thought about that, but that would mean a lot more fab work which I'm not in the mood to do right now. It would be pretty interesting to do. Maybe later on down the road, I just wanted a simple 'quick' fix to my problem.:icon_cheers:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think it would take a lot of fab work to do a 3 link rear. Since a 3 link is the same as the radius arm setup on the front, you could take design off that.

I am looking at it for my Bronco II.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck, take lots of pics and work out all the bugs first, then send me the blueprints! :D

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is the base design I have for the spring perches and the link mounts. I still have some design work for the track bar mount, upper spring perches, and some more on the lower spring perches.

I am thinking about going with these spring perches. These will give me less fab work.

Lower:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Axle-link-coil-mount-brackets-2_p_32-1444.html#

Upper:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Coil-spring-Frame-mounts-with-retainers_p_32-1478.html

Considering leaving the shocks in the same position they are in now, but I don't know yet.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's got an exploder 8.8 in it and is still a few inches shorter in the rear.:dunno: I considered going disc's, but again, it means more work than I'm prepared to do right now. I've yet to take it out for a shake down run, so I'm kinda itching to finally enjoy the fruits of my labor!
Is it narrowed or something? Stock it should be tad wider than what came in your truck from the factory. Yours looks quite a bit narrower than your front...

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it narrowed or something? Stock it should be tad wider than what came in your truck from the factory. Yours looks quite a bit narrower than your front...
I think it is the angle of the picture.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No, it really is narrower than the front. At least by an inch. I bought the axles already set up, and was told it was an exploder 8.8. Now I'm thinking that it might be a ranger 8.8. Are they narrower than an exploder?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes the Ranger 8.8 is about 1.5" narrower. The best way to make sure it is an Explorer 8.8 is to check the diameter of the axle tubes; they should be 3.5" in diameter if it is off an Explorer.

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, about an inch.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the Ranger 8.8 is about 1.5" narrower. The best way to make sure it is an Explorer 8.8 is to check the diameter of the axle tubes; they should be 3.5" in diameter if it is off an Explorer.
well that explains it then! Wish I knew that before throwing it into the truck, I would have done the upgrade right away. Oh well...

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
whats the spline count on aerostar?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals