• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Compressors

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a small craftsman compressor that isn't going to be big enough. so i'm going to return it and get a bigger one.

Right now I'm looking at possibly the 30 Gallon, 2hp, 5.5 CFM Husky Pro oiled. and the 33 Gallon, 1.6 HP, 4.8 CFM Craftsman oil less..

Is husky a good compressor? Its got a 4 yr warranty.. and i've been reading that the craftsman's last about a year or a year and a half.

I'll be using it for my impact, ratchet, die grinder, cut off wheels, 7" sander and probably some other junk on weekends.

kamps989

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had nothing but good luck with Craftsman compressors. Husky tools have always been good too me as well but never touched one of their compressors, so I would have to recommend the Craftsman from my experience.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are going to use it a lot I would reccomend a unit with a cast iron cylinder and oil, like a motor. They are quieter and much more rugged than the dry units. Get the largest one that you can, die grinders use a LOT of air.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
I avoid oil less compressors because the are loud and don't last. Martin is correct oiled compressors are the way to go.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
yes sir i have the same husky you are talking about the actual compressor is made by Campbel Hausfield very good compressor very quiet and i can use sandblaster and my impact wrench and it keeps the pressure up perfectly

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
ive got a 33 gallon oil free craftsman and it does all right for running impact guns and air ratchets, but sand blasting or die grinding uses more air than it can make and it is a noisy SOB after 2.5 years. i wish i would have bought the big black pro series i was looking at, but my mom had already bought the 33 gal for my dad and she was mad that i was going to go out and buy a bigger and better one so i didnt get it..... DOH!

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Stay away from oilless compressors. Noise and vibration.

Gallons and horsepower ratings don't tell you what you need. Check the highest cfm rating of the tools your are using, and buy the compressor to fill the needs, else the compressor can't keep up, will run constantly, and still not supply enough air.:)shady

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic

Gallons and horsepower ratings don't tell you what you need. Check the highest cfm rating of the tools your are using, and buy the compressor to fill the needs, else the compressor can't keep up, will run constantly, and still not supply enough air.:)shady
+1.

My grandfather has a Craftsman oilfree type (I think its a 30ish gallon), and while it is nice, to me its too loud (kind of a droning noise after a while) and can not run heavy duty air tools (sand blasters, die grinders, shears, etc). My father has a 60 gallon Campbell Hausfield single piston compressor, oil type, that is a pretty good unit. It'll run just about any tools we have; but a lot of use with the sandblasting cabinet or portable tank and it will run for a while, but it'll maintain 80Lbs of pressure the whole time.

If I was to get one I would probably get a twin piston unit, but I do a lot of sandblasting/beadblasting and will hopefully be shooting my own paint a lot more down the road.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd recommend the Craftsman, as long as the CFM ratings are high enough for the tools you're using. My 12 gallon Craftsman has been awesome and it's the oil type. I can run a 1/2" impact all day long and it always keeps up.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I work at Campbell Hausfeld and the sad part of it all is that I don't even own a air compressor.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
My father was given a 2 cylinder compressor motor (oiled) which he attached to a 100 gallon tank. It never runs low on pressure. I believe the motor was Ingersoll Rand, new in 1980 or so.
An oiled Campbell Hausefield is a good pump.

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive got a 33 gallon oil free craftsman and it does all right for running impact guns and air ratchets, but sand blasting or die grinding uses more air than it can make and it is a noisy SOB after 2.5 years. i wish i would have bought the big black pro series i was looking at, but my mom had already bought the 33 gal for my dad and she was mad that i was going to go out and buy a bigger and better one so i didnt get it..... DOH!
BLack series.. craftsman professional? those are wayy out of my price range, and dont even push enough air.

I think my step mom may be kinda mad, she was all confused when i told her it wasn't big enough. she was like "its 2 sizes up from what your dad has". But he has a little pancake one he uses for the occasional nail gun and airing up tires.

yea, i know. Thats why i'm looking at the Husky. I'll probably be using the sander and grinders more than an impact since i'll be doing more fab than fixing cars since thats what I do all day at work lol

I've seen the 7" air sander rated from 4.5cfm to 6+ I need to look around and find what mine takes but I'm not gonna go buy a huge 10cfm compressor right now, even though i want one :icon_twisted:

I work at Campbell Hausfeld and the sad part of it all is that I don't even own a air compressor.
lol

sasdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My father was given a 2 cylinder compressor motor (oiled) which he attached to a 100 gallon tank. It never runs low on pressure. I believe the motor was Ingersoll Rand, new in 1980 or so.
Ingersoll-Rand doesn’t build motors, they build the compressors. More than likely your father’s Ingersoll-Rand compressor is powered by a GE, Marathon, or Baldor motor. Ingersoll-Rand builds superior high volume compressors.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals