• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air conditioning Condensors and compressors

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been thinking about fixing the A/C in my truck(91 Ranger 3.0). It was empty when I got it in 2005 so I took it to a shop and had it converted to R134a and sucked down and charged. The shop said it wouldn't hold a vacuum and they couldn't find the leak their UV dye either. It did end up leaking out mostly so I charged it up with some leak sealer and r134a in a can from walmart and it worked fine for almost a year.

Anyways, when I did get it charged by the shop it was cold, but it wasn't real cold so I have been doing some research and it looks like they changed compressors/condensers at the same time they switch from r12 to r134a. I am curious as to if anybody has put a compressor and condenser from a r134a year truck in one that was originally r12.

I have a vacuum pump and manifold gauges to charge the A/C as I replaced the compressor and all the o-rings in my ford contour a couple years ago without it leaking out, and I just want the A/C to be in my truck to be as cold as it is in my car :( I plan to go through and replace all the orings, compressor, and condenser to ensure a leak free system.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It appears that on the newer 3.0's the A/C compressor bolts on the upper drivers side of the engine and newer ones bolt on the lower passenger side of the engine. I measured the mounting points of the 2 condensers and it appears that the newer model is 20.5" between the two holes and the older one is about 19.5" between the 2 holes. The fittings on the condenser both come out in the same general area and both looked like the female end of the quick disconnect had an 1/2" O.D. fitting on it.

I am still debating which way I am going to go, but I think I will probably just order stock parts for my truck.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The original condenser and compressor should work fine. I'd replace them only if there's a problem with it.

I converted my '90 over to R-134a a couple years ago and it blows out at a chilly 38° even when it's 95° outside (original condenser, and a stock-replacement (Visteon) compressor).

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
take it to a shop and have a competent mechanic use a sniffer to leak check it.. get the report and then fix the leaks.

if its a huge leak you can charge with about 1/2lb and use soapy water

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered a reman compressor,the hose that goes between the compressor and the condenser and the condenser. I am pretty sure it is the line that its leaking at as it's pretty rusty and has some oil on it, but the system has been empty long enough that I am sure it is full of moisture that I am just going to replace the compressor, condenser, drier, orifice tube and o-rings throughout. I think I will only have a smudge over $300 invested. To me it's worth it to not sweat

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am confused as to if I should buy a red orifice tube or a blue orifice tube?
From what I have been reading the blue ones are for factory r134a systems and the red ones are for r12. I am assuming my truck has the red one in it. What about one of the variable tubes? I am wondering if they are worth the extra $20.

Nevermind, just found this http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54530 thread

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah I have the Red .062 orifice on mine converted to R-134a. Workin' great.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got it put back together, sucked down and charged. It is almost 100 degrees outside today and it is comfortable room temperature in my truck. I don't have a thermometer to check to see what it's blowing out the vents at, but I am sure it is not 38 degrees.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nevermind, My hose ended up leaking out since I was impatient on the one from lmc truck being shipped to georgia and then back ordered. Nobody around here seems to be able to repair a/c lines and I can't find one any place other than LMC. On their website they are listing 50-2818 for a 90-92 4.0 ranger as well as a 1991 3.0 Ranger. None of the parts stores list a hose for a 3.0 ranger nor does rockauto.com, but they all list hoses for a 4.0.
I called rockauto and asked them about it, but they said they didn't actually have any dimensions in their database for it. She said I could order it and ship it back if it didn't fit. My a/c compressor is on the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. I haven't owned a 4.0 truck yet so I am not sure if they are on top drivers side like all the other ones I have seen.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Napa lists hoses for a 1992 3.0 Ranger. I can't imagine it being any different than a 1991.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ended up receiving my hose and it was the wrong one. It is the same p/n that 4 seasons lists for the 4.0. The lady at LMC truck wrote down the dimensions from the one that is on my truck and the one that they shipped me and she said they would double check to make sure it wasn't mislabeled and see if they had a different one that would fit and get back to me. I believe the reason it is an oddball hose is that they moved the a/c compressor from the bottom side of the engine to the top side and I bet that change was made in 92. 91 was the first year that they put the 3.0 in the Ranger so that would mean they only put that hose in very few trucks. If they get back to me and say they can't get it I think I will just locate a set of brackets and move the a/c compressor to the top.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I ended up receiving my hose and it was the wrong one. It is the same p/n that 4 seasons lists for the 4.0. The lady at LMC truck wrote down the dimensions from the one that is on my truck and the one that they shipped me and she said they would double check to make sure it wasn't mislabeled and see if they had a different one that would fit and get back to me. I believe the reason it is an oddball hose is that they moved the a/c compressor from the bottom side of the engine to the top side and I bet that change was made in 92. 91 was the first year that they put the 3.0 in the Ranger so that would mean they only put that hose in very few trucks. If they get back to me and say they can't get it I think I will just locate a set of brackets and move the a/c compressor to the top.
can you just get the hose custom made?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure but if your gonna be running 134a juice thru it you will want the 134a orifice the compressor just moves the refrigerant as a high pressure vapor to the condensor where it turn to high pressure liquid that goes thru the orifice and expands to a low pressure vapor in the evaporator in the cab it absorbs the heat in the cab to the compressor back into a high pressure vapor as the heat is pulled out of the refrigerant it turns to liquid around and around. The orifice regulates the expansion rate and I would think the different refrigerants expand accordingly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals