• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air muffler removal

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone tell me what size pipe to replace the air muffler with on my 96 2.3liter? Saw one guy on here use 3" exhaust pipe but said it was a touch to big. Also read that you can use pvc pipe, I have some laying around but was wondering if 3" would be too big?:icon_confused:

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I used a piece of 3" exhaust pipe. I had to spray the pipe and rubber tube with brake cleaner to slip it on.

Idk if pvc will work, I think the outside diameter is too big.

dngr_rngr94

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled the muffler out of the piece that was already in there. Didn't replace any piping.

dans92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah me too, i just took the pipe off and hit the cone part with a decent sized hammer and popped right out the back. if you see how big it is you might wonder how any air got past it at all lol.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone tell me what size pipe to replace the air muffler with on my 96 2.3liter? Saw one guy on here use 3" exhaust pipe but said it was a touch to big. Also read that you can use pvc pipe, I have some laying around but was wondering if 3" would be too big?:icon_confused:
PLEASE dont use pvc pipe. I tried it, and it melted.:icon_thumby:
or you can just remove the pipe in the muffler. I just used exhaust pipe for more direct air flow and I didnt want to mess up the oem muffler.

Last edited:

plsaville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 96 ranger with a 2.3 and made a intake out of 2" pvc and haven't had any problems.

dragonryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Made it out of 2 inch pvc with couplers to bring OD up to 2.75. Don't notice any difference in sound of power, I also removed the rubber funnel that went down into the fender. When I removed the air muffler I noticed that it was a straight shot thru with some holes around the back side walls, maybe it was already modified? Was there supposed to be something in there restricting air flow?

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe my "pvc" melted cuase its very hot outside. And the heat of the header/engine/outside temp all together was too hot for the plastic to hold.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't use pvc because its so close to the exhaust.

Get a piece of 3" exhaust pipe and cut it down to 8 1/2".

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I think the purpose of the stock "air muffler" as you're referring to it as. Might be to stop/trap water from going in to the engine but I'm not 100% sure.

I had the pipe in the picture above on my truck when I hydrolocked my old 2.3L.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I put the pipe back on and it seems to have better throttle response and my exhaust sound changed quite a bit, it almost sounds like it has some balls now.
I broke the stock hose clamp because there were only a few threads grabbing, the rubber part of the intake on the side with the missing clamp is about 2.75" so its a tight fit. I took the intake tube off the engine and sprayed the intake and the tube with brake cleaner and pushed it in.

I think only the 95-97 Rangers have this type of "air muffler".

On with the pictures.

Trigger65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The purpose of the intake muffler or so I have read is to smooth out back pressure when downshifting (What?). anyways, planning on doing this tomorrow and seeing what it does, supposedly it gives like a 10hp increase

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford

NJ 03Mach1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
supposedly it gives like a 10hp increase
:icon_rofl:

Not even remotely close. I don't think it would give anything more then 5 if even that.. Nothing you would "feel" anyway..

I'm new to "Ranger" tech, but not new to engines. So some of the following may apply, it may not. I have a Mustang background and I'm new to the 2.3 world but I'd think some of the same principals would apply..

The purpose of the piece is to quiet the sound of the air rushing into the throttle body. You notice a difference in throttle response due to the smoother more direct flow of incoming air.

Try coating the pipe with a heat paint also or some sort of heat wrap. The metal will retain heat, which will pass along onto the incoming air. Heat kills power and your defeating the purpose of trying to get more power.

Along with this "mod" I'd say throw in a stock replacement K&N air filter if you already don't have one. Avoid switching to an open air conical filter, as it will suck in the hotter air from the engine bay pretty much eliminating any gain.

Also, I don't know if they have them, but removing the "air silencer" on the stock air box, will also free up some air going into the engine. Do a makeshift "Ram air" to the hole where the silencer used to be, and get cool air in there.

Keep in mind, getting more air in, without helping get it out (IE; Exhaust) is defeating the purpose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals