• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All season tires (14/15) for 97 Ranger w/o power steering

ChicagoRangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I've been going through the forum all day as I'm trying to figure out what to do about my tires.

Currently, I have three 195/70R14's and one 185/75R14 that came with the truck. They match on the front and are different on the back.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to get some good all-season tires with good snow traction (living in Chicago).

Last winter, I had a hell of time in the snow, even with 300 pounds of sand in the bed. We got a few inches of November snow and it was really hard to get traction.

I'm wondering if I should go to the junk yard and try to move up to 15-inch tires for the greater variety that comes with the size, or if I'm OK sticking with the 14-inch rims.

It seems like no one makes at A/T tire for the 14s anymore.

I was considering getting some tiger paw 215/205/70R14 AWLs. Anyone tried these?

I'd prefer a bigger tire, but it's not a big deal. I also don't mind throwing a few hundred pounds of sand in the back. And, I wouldn't go bigger than a 15-inch because the truck as no power steering and I live in the city and it's already hard enough to park in a tight spot.

So, would moving up to 15 inch rims and having more choices make a huge difference in terms of snow traction, or will NEW 14's with sand in the back do just fine?

Thanks for your help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, if you want good snow traction I would stay away from Tiger Paws. They aren't great.

Unfortunately 14 inch tires are being phased out across the board, they just aren't common enough to keep making them.

Personally I would hit up junk yards and craigslist and find a set of 15 inch rims. More selection, but even those are starting to diminish.

ChicagoRangerDanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So, I've actually found some AT tires in a 14-inch size. When I'd looked in the past there was nothing available or they were out of stock everywhere.

I'm trying to decide between these two:

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Tire LT195/75R14

or

General Tire Grabber AT2 Tire 27X8.50R14 LT

Currently I have a set of 195/70R14 tires on my RWD 2.3 Manual Ranger.

I talked with someone in customer service at the Tire Rack to see if they would fit my rim and they told me the tire size I have on there alone wouldn't tell them. They said I need to measure the rim width by sticking a tape measure through a spoke to know. This doesn't seem correct to me, but what do I know.

According to the tire guide on this forum, the general grabbers will fit, and those are the ones I'd prefer to get.

Does anyone have experience with these on their Ranger? Did they fit? Do you like them?

Last edited:

Kealel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Posted in the wrong thread... sorry.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Look at the Federal sticker (on driver's door jamb). I will tell you what that stock tires and rims were. e.g. 215/75R15 and 15x7JJ respective in the example here http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2009/federal_sticker.htm

27x8.50R14 are much larger than 195/75R14 (which would be 25.5x7.7R14s if using the same nomenclature). Personally, I like narrower tires in winter, but we get more of the dry, powder up here.

Recognize, a 195/60R16 tire/rim combination might actually be lighter than your 195/75R14 while being more/less the same diameter/width. And selection for the 16" tires would be much better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals