• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alrighty gents, here's one for you.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger EDGE with the 3.0 (duh) manual. I was sure if this should go under engines or transmissions but here it is.

Anywho, sometimes when I start up my truck it is near impossible to shift gears. Like rolling up to a stoplight, shifting from 4th to 1st. I need to push up against my seat and with all of my might to get it into 1st gear. Other times it shifts just fine. I bled the transmission once and that seemed to fix it for a short while but now it's back to the same old thing. Any help would be mucho appreciato. Thanks guys! Also, ask for any more info if I didn't give enough.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"I need to push up against my seat and with all of my might to get it into 1st gear."

Don't do that.^^ repeat, Don't do that.^^

Stop and Shut off the engine if it won't go into gear. THEN put it in gear and restart it.

You probably have a bad slave cylinder, or it needs bled.

Try this next time it won't go into gear:
Shut off the engine.
Press clutch in (to the floor)
slip your foot off the clutch pedal and let it slam back to full up.
repeat that, then start it up and see if it helped.

If it did, either your master or slave is bad.
Slave requires transmission removal to replace it.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We've bled it very recently. Like within the past 1-2 months. I will try that but when I'm at a stop light I do not want to really shut off my ranger at a stop light. And I've done it a lot before. But it isn't only for first gear either. It also does it for reverse and 2nd. Then it gets easier for 3rd 4th and 5th. And a slave cylinder sounds pricey lol.

We recently replaced the clutch this past spring, would the slave cylinder have been replaced with the new clutch or not? Thanks again!

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes it should. The slave is a very important component and I believe should be changed everytime you remove the transmission. Because you don't want to wait a month and find out it's leaking. It just alot easier to get at when doing the clutch job.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"And I've done it a lot before. But it isn't only for first gear either. It also does it for reverse and 2nd. Then it gets easier for 3rd 4th and 5th. And a slave cylinder sounds pricey lol."

It could not possibly take more than 4 total seconds to go Key Off, Clutch pedal in, snick it into 1st gear, turn key to crank engine starter.

A new transmission is even pricier than a new slave (which is a $60 part + labor). Keep jamming it into gear like that and you'll find out!

"We recently replaced the clutch..." sounds like you had a shop do it. All bets are off whether they actually replaced the slave or not. Look at the receipt?

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No. My brother, dad and a mechanic did it in our garage. But I was not there as it was not my truck at the time. I will ask mi padre when I get home. Thanks for the info guys! :icon_thumby: It appears that the slave cylinder is my issue.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I almost drove it home today from my cousin's house. And it was difficult to get into 3rd gear and 2nd or 1st. So, I turned off my truck, pumped my clutch and attempted to restart it. It would not start.... It cranked and sorta turned on (about 200-400 rpm) and my gas pedal would not send any fuel to the engine so it stalled out. It did that about 3 times while I was at a complete stop and then would not start at all, but still cranked just no engine... This happened about 5-10 mins away from my house. So my dad came to the rescue with our jeep and we towed it home with a tow strap.

Any new ideas? Or is everyone still agreeing on the slave cylinder?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bled the transmission once and that seemed to fix it for a short while but now it's back to the same old thing.
Have you checked fluid level? If it's down then leak somewhere. There is so little fluid in these systems that you don't have to loose much for clutch to be affected. There is an inspection cover on the trans where you may be able to see fluid loss.

Hard to say on no start without more information unless it's related to interlock switch on the clutch pedal.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sometimes if the syncros arent lined up you may need to let the clutch out just a tad while applying a little pressure to the gear you want to be in, but it shouldnt happen very often...

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Is there any possibility that the trans has gear oil in it instead of the required Mercon automatic transmission fluid?

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
slave cylinder.....

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
How about checking that the slave cylinder is moving the proper amount when the pedal is depressed? I think it should move about 5/16 of an inch.

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I twas indeed the slave cylinder. It shifts sssoooooo nicely now. Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals