• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

An opportunity to help someone in need

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Hey to all TRS members,

A little background here is in order.

My wife is moving up the corporate ladder in the company where she works so we are moving to the Dallas area of Texas, more specifically Richardson, Plano, Allen, Sachse, or Garland is where we are trying to find our house. As of June
1st the rest of the family will be in Texas with her (as she is already commuting by jet:annoyed:).

So that is my family.

The person we are trying to help has been separated from her husband (she and her husband are trying to work things out but she is trying to make it on her own and she has at least one kid that I know of) and is not doing well financially.

I have this Ranger I have been trying to sell on here unsuccessfully for the past month and maybe for a good reason. The lady that my wife hired (unknown at the time to to my wife, not that it was a problem) commutes by train (light rail?) and bus every day. It takes two hours or more for her to get to her job every day because of the lines and the other stops whereas for a normal commuter with a vehicle (lets just use a Ford Ranger for illustration:icon_idea:) it would only take about 1/2 hour.

My wife asked me if I could put an engine in the truck and let Jerri (the employee) either drive the truck until she could afford her own or just donate it outright to her.

I thought this would be a great opportunity for the guys on TRS to get together and do something for someone else; and it still involves Rangers: a win-win situation.

So, I have the truck and some limited know-how; I was wondering if there were some guys in in The Ranger Station who would like to help me in some areas.

1. A place to work - I will be in temporary housing at first and can't work on a truck there. A garage would be nice but we have all worked with less.
2. Manpower - I can't do this alone. I need guys who have done an engine swap, and at this point we can swap anything into it as it is a blank slate. If we can agree on a date we can have it up and running in one Saturday. I can plate it the following Monday or whatever. I just need volunteers.
3. Parts - What I am dealing with is an '88 Ranger xlt Extended Cab 2wd. It used to have the 2.9 v-6 with an auto trans. I still have the trans and will have it if we need it. It will need brakes all around; I can supply parts unless someone can donate them. Also, the fuel system was taken out, sorry, so gas lines will have to be run and a tank will have to be reinstalled.
4. Interior - The old trans was a floor shifter so (???) ; if we change anything there will be additional work. Other than that, the dash simply needs to be put back together as I was going to use electric truck components. I still have everything.

My contact information

cell - 843- 870-1326

email sevenwallsinsc@yahoo.com (it seemed like a good idea at the time)

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sorry I can't offer any assistance since I'm not in your area, but we do have quite a few people around you and I'm sure you will get some help with this...just posting to say sounds like a worthwhile project...

The brakes are not that hard to do yourself...I did mine...so anyone with a bit of determination and a Haynes manual can do it...the parts are fairly inexpensive too...but don't use anything out of the junkyard for the brakes...other than maybe drums if you can find a set of Aerostar drums that can be turned (take them to a shop...)...

The brake lines are easy enough to replace as are all the fittings...but having someone around who's done it before sure helps...I learned from my nephew about ten years ago and have been getting better at it every time...

The engine swap is easy too...but you will need a hand with that...regardless of what engine you put in...

Hope you find what you need...

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I can't offer any assistance since I'm not in your area, but we do have quite a few people around you and I'm sure you will get some help with this...just posting to say sounds like a worthwhile project...

The brakes are not that hard to do yourself...I did mine...so anyone with a bit of determination and a Haynes manual can do it...the parts are fairly inexpensive too...but don't use anything out of the junkyard for the brakes...other than maybe drums if you can find a set of Aerostar drums that can be turned (take them to a shop...)...

The brake lines are easy enough to replace as are all the fittings...but having someone around who's done it before sure helps...I learned from my nephew about ten years ago and have been getting better at it every time...

The engine swap is easy too...but you will need a hand with that...regardless of what engine you put in...

Hope you find what you need...
Yes, I would say Canada would be a little too far way for this project.

Thanks for the thoughts, though.

THe brakes are just hardware all the way around. I have done brakes many times before, just not on a 88. They have a weird clippy thinggy that holds them on the front. I was going to change the caliper out to a newer style if I were to keep the truck..... I still might as the calipers are original.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Got too much on the plate at this time...and you are aways off from me!! My wife and family and friends are helping out the tornado victims at this time and need to spend a lot of money to help out and maybe offer shelter. I bought several really nice military tents and we got them shipped off yesterday to help out up in Alabama where I have family and in Mississippi where I have property and there are few homes that my parents own up there.
We are having a few of the evacuees stay at one of the places and they are cleaning up the property and they offered to paint one of the houses for my parents as well for a chance to live rent free for a few months until they can get back into their house.
I do believe in sharing my life with people who deserve a chance to live and go on after a horrible ordeal!!! Man...I also can't believe what happened up in Kansas!! It is just so mind boggling to see the devastation from that monster tornado!!!

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Got too much on the plate at this time...and you are aways off from me!! My wife and family and friends are helping out the tornado victims at this time and need to spend a lot of money to help out and maybe offer shelter. I bought several really nice military tents and we got them shipped off yesterday to help out up in Alabama where I have family and in Mississippi where I have property and there are few homes that my parents own up there.
We are having a few of the evacuees stay at one of the places and they are cleaning up the property and they offered to paint one of the houses for my parents as well for a chance to live rent free for a few months until they can get back into their house.
I do believe in sharing my life with people who deserve a chance to live and go on after a horrible ordeal!!! Man...I also can't believe what happened up in Kansas!! It is just so mind boggling to see the devastation from that monster tornado!!!
That's what its all about. If you can't give back, you are a little too self centered.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They have a weird clippy thinggy that holds them on the front. I was going to change the caliper out to a newer style if I were to keep the truck..... I still might as the calipers are original.

It's callled a King Pin. Hammer and a #3 flat blade screwdriver to take it out. Hit it on one side, then the other (left and right, not front and back). Get the grips into the slide then flip the driver level and drive the sucker on out.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the truck now, do you have a line on an engine to put in it. Do you have the shifter or just the transmission. You said you have the tank, do you have the lines and just need to reinstall them?
Next few weeks are booked but might be able to help after. Don't think it is a one day project.

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
It's callled a King Pin. Hammer and a #3 flat blade screwdriver to take it out. Hit it on one side, then the other (left and right, not front and back). Get the grips into the slide then flip the driver level and drive the sucker on out.
Well, when I was in the process of stripping the truck a while back, that is about what I did but it kind of seemed like a chincy kind of retainer. No bolt or anything? Just a little weird for a guy whose first Ranger was a '97.

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Where is the truck now, do you have a line on an engine to put in it. Do you have the shifter or just the transmission. You said you have the tank, do you have the lines and just need to reinstall them?
Next few weeks are booked but might be able to help after. Don't think it is a one day project.
Right now it is in Kenner, a suburb of New Orleans. As of Wednedsay/Thursday next week, I am driving down the road to the Dallas area and need a place for it.

I have the transmission and torque converter; I should have the shifter, I will see if I can put my finger on it. I do not have the tank, bands or lines. All that went to the scapyard over two years ago along with the engine.

About an engine; no, I do not have anything yet. Hopefully someone can donate a powerplant or my wife and I can put something toward one.

But this is one of the reasons I need help from everyone here on TRS. We really can't do it by ourselves, money or technically.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ug, too bad you are so far away.

I have an engine that ran well when it was taken out that I'd give up for you. Actually I have 2 of them. But by the time I crate and ship either you are going to be into it for more than a junk yard engine.

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Ug, too bad you are so far away.

I have an engine that ran well when it was taken out that I'd give up for you. Actually I have 2 of them. But by the time I crate and ship either you are going to be into it for more than a junk yard engine.
You wouldn't happen to know anyone in or near Texas who would have a motor for the donor, would you? Or, do you know anyone online here I can contact that would be able to help get this kicked off? I'm not sure who I should try to contact but you seem to have been on a long time and I've seen you around a while. (I kind of lurked for a while before joining).

Anyway, if you got anything I would appreciate the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals