• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any of you in the Army?

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im looking at joining it. Ive read and heard about boot camp. But i want personal experiences. Hows it go? Hows the siging bonus?

Im just looking for personal experiences.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im looking at joining it. Ive read and heard about boot camp. But i want personal experiences. Hows it go? Hows the siging bonus?

Im just looking for personal experiences.
Need more info for signing bonus. It's not the same for all jobs. Basic is just like you see it depicted except they cannot hit you. If you can be manipulated, you will fit in great. If not, you will hate it and be the happiest guy on earth when your enlistment is up.

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Id like to do something mechanic wise or welding. Now would i have to go on patrols and shit? And whatever you join you gotta do basic?

Also how hard is it for a sniper? That interests me a ton.

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well your best bet is to go talk to a recruiter, I luckily have a family friend that is a recruiter that wont try to push me into anything, Im not joining the army anyways though

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am and they cant force me, i know some do but i will do what i like. I just want to hear the real deal cause recruiters make it sound better,

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am and they cant force me, i know some do but i will do what i like. I just want to hear the real deal cause recruiters make it sound better,
Yeah I know what your sayin

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Id like to do something mechanic wise or welding. Now would i have to go on patrols and shit? And whatever you join you gotta do basic?

Sniper? It's almost the toughest training ever in the military. Basic is a requirement for anything. Patrols? Depends on your specific job.

Remember, only the top 2% or so can become snipers.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Oh C'mon kiddo do some research!! You sign the paper you belong to me and America. I expect you to if nesessary die protecting me just as I would you and all other Americans if thats the mission. You go to every branch 10 times if you have to and make them out bid you and in writing, make sure you clearly understand DOD's writing. Movies are not real, whats real is the horrors of war. When that one piece of lead is coming at you and you can hear it, taste it, smell it and your down... You can bet your ass a corpsman/ field medic will plug you up for the rest of the fight or stash ya if your to thrashed and come back for you. Fact is you sign it you gotta back it up!!

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
basic is as easy as easy gets, if you can turn your brain off entirely. if you have a good one and use it, it makes things fun. if you have a not so good one and use it everyone around you will have fun with you.

As for bonuses, don't hold your breath. for the first time in a very long time, the army is above their numbers and paying indefs to get out.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was in the army, and my life took a major turn for the worse. It cost me two families, a bunch of headache and heartache and noone seems to appreciate you (here they do alot) I signed up for the 33k for college, but every bonus has a downfall and in the end was not worth what it costs me. Most recruiters aren't totally honest. Basic is a big mind fawk.

I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD. Read the post on Sheepdogs. Or give me your email and ill send it to you. If your gonna serve, do it because you love your country.
Or do it because it's right. Or do it because if you serve today, maybe your kids won't have to tommorow. Worry about the bonuses and stuff after you make the decision to sign up.

Alot of people bitch saying todays soldiers don't fight for freedom like yesterdas soldiers did, and maybe they are right. THe fightin in Iraq def was a "freedom" threat. But we're still defending our freedom by showing that the US is still the top shit. Once in a while you have to flex your muscle and remind people why you are in charge. Thus protecting freedom through prevention.

Someone once said (prolly in a movie or sumthing) "without war there is no peace"

It doesnt matter who said it. Im a firm believer. If we're not fighting over there, then we're getting complacent and fighting over here. (gangs, crime, etc.)

If your 18 go sign your ass up!

By the way there is an inactive perior in the contract where you can be called back. I knew this and signed up anyways. In aug of 2005 4 years after being out, I got a title 10 letter in the mail calling me back. I left the morning after I got married. 600 of us were called back and 60 of us showed up, 34 of us actually made it overseas. and we stayed together as a platoon and were treated like the most horrible shit the army ever squeezed out. Mostly by the officer and command. I knew this could happen and I would do it again.

::except for charlie med in the 1/34 bsb, they were awesome. Great job guys. Its because of you hte Minnesota nat'l guard has any pride left at all.

Last edited:

RotorFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
If you're gonna join have a career in mind. I was a helicopter mechanic in the Army, received my civilian aircraft mechanics license before I got out and walked into a $50k+ a year job while still on terminal leave from the Army. I worked for three years and now I'm back to full time college. I can go back to helicopter fixin' at any time because my license is indefinite unless revoked. My advice- go aviation or signal. Both get treated much better than the average foot soldier, offer some degree of mental stimulation, don't generally go on patrols, learn skills that can be used outside of the military other than honor and discipline and if you're good at your job other soldiers generally recognize it and you are promoted accordingly. The enlistment is long-usually 6 yrs without a bonus but then again of all my friends who signed up for short enlistments and big bonuses, I'm the only one that has been able to find a good job after getting out.

bottom line- The military is both good and bad, I wouldn't trade my experience for the world. Just make sure that when your enlistment is up, you have something to show for it. PM me if you have any questions about aviation.

My $.02

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Im in the Air Force not the Army, but I do have military experience. If deploying overseas or boot camp is something that is deterring you from joining, don't join because that is the military life...

Also regardless if your a mechanic, medical etc., you are a soldier first and foremost. So yes anyone in the US military is eligible to pick up a weapon and use it. I turn wrenches on C-130s, but we also carry m16s with us in Afganistan.

Basic is an awesome time. You learn so much about yourself you never knew, make friends and have a one of a kind experience that you will tell stories about for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
LOL I dont know where you went to basic but i joined the wrong service.

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
basic is what you make of it, i would go back in a heart beat, and just because you pick a mos or (job) doesnt mean that thats what your gonna be doing, and if your scared to go on patrols or deploying then dont bother joining, ive done 4 years active army and in my 2nd year in the gaurd and been deployed twice

93 Ohio Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was in the army, and my life took a major turn for the worse. It cost me two families, a bunch of headache and heartache and noone seems to appreciate you (here they do alot) I signed up for the 33k for college, but every bonus has a downfall and in the end was not worth what it costs me. Most recruiters aren't totally honest. Basic is a big mind fawk.

I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD. Read the post on Sheepdogs. Or give me your email and ill send it to you. If your gonna serve, do it because you love your country.
Or do it because it's right. Or do it because if you serve today, maybe your kids won't have to tommorow. Worry about the bonuses and stuff after you make the decision to sign up.

Alot of people bitch saying todays soldiers don't fight for freedom like yesterdas soldiers did, and maybe they are right. THe fightin in Iraq def was a "freedom" threat. But we're still defending our freedom by showing that the US is still the top shit. Once in a while you have to flex your muscle and remind people why you are in charge. Thus protecting freedom through prevention.

Someone once said (prolly in a movie or sumthing) "without war there is no peace"

It doesnt matter who said it. Im a firm believer. If we're not fighting over there, then we're getting complacent and fighting over here. (gangs, crime, etc.)

If your 18 go sign your ass up!

By the way there is an inactive perior in the contract where you can be called back. I knew this and signed up anyways. In aug of 2005 4 years after being out, I got a title 10 letter in the mail calling me back. I left the morning after I got married. 600 of us were called back and 60 of us showed up, 34 of us actually made it overseas. and we stayed together as a platoon and were treated like the most horrible shit the army ever squeezed out. Mostly by the officer and command. I knew this could happen and I would do it again.

::except for charlie med in the 1/34 bsb, they were awesome. Great job guys. Its because of you hte Minnesota nat'l guard has any pride left at all.
Im not doing it for the money, im doing it because i want a safe place for my family and friends. I also like how they pay for school and i know the military will make me who i want me to be. Im not afraid of bootcamp im just afraid of not having friends. Me and my best friend are joining but what are chances of us going to same bootcamp.

If you're gonna join have a career in mind. I was a helicopter mechanic in the Army, received my civilian aircraft mechanics license before I got out and walked into a $50k+ a year job while still on terminal leave from the Army. I worked for three years and now I'm back to full time college. I can go back to helicopter fixin' at any time because my license is indefinite unless revoked. My advice- go aviation or signal. Both get treated much better than the average foot soldier, offer some degree of mental stimulation, don't generally go on patrols, learn skills that can be used outside of the military other than honor and discipline and if you're good at your job other soldiers generally recognize it and you are promoted accordingly. The enlistment is long-usually 6 yrs without a bonus but then again of all my friends who signed up for short enlistments and big bonuses, I'm the only one that has been able to find a good job after getting out.

bottom line- The military is both good and bad, I wouldn't trade my experience for the world. Just make sure that when your enlistment is up, you have something to show for it. PM me if you have any questions about aviation.

My $.02
Id like to join for some mechanics based work. I was reading up really hard on the helicopter mechanic and it seems like a good job but in ohio theres not man helicopter repair places ahaha, please pm me some info as your the only one ive talked to thats in the mechanic based work.
[[/I]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals