• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody else seen one of these???

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
2009 FACTORY Mustang Drag Car (FMS: NO VIN# / NOT street legal), our dealerships flag owner (Jacky Jones) bought 10 of these and all have been SOLD....70k price tag
5.4 Supercharged, 6spd manual trans w/SFI bellhousing, 9" rearend, cage, etc.

If you seen any, post pics.............

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Thats pretty cool. They skip the radio, AC, carpeting etc?
==================================
DAMN SKIPPY..........this thing is track ready!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seen it in a couple of magazines. 425 hp base, 475 with the alum block, roll cage optional, stripped interior. Quoted HP seems a little low, just like they did with the orginal ones. Strange to see a 9" rear being used again. Lots of room for increases. Think production was limited to only 50, sold out before the ink was dry. I think they sure could have ditched the six speed, may even gone back to the good old top loader four speed for the strip.
Dave

Last edited:

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thats nice, and it shows that the economy is taking an upswing

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Seen it in a couple of magazines. 425 hp base, 475 with the alum block, roll cage optional, stripped interior. Quoted HP seems a little low, just like they did with the orginal ones. Strange to see a 9" rear being used again. Lots of room for increases. Think production was limited to only 50, sold out before the ink was dry. I think they sure could have ditched the six speed, may even gone back to the good old top loader four speed for the strip.
Dave
I'd have dropped any manual transmission... An auto is the only transmission that belongs in a 1/4 mile car... Now, if it was street legal, that 6-speed would be sweet...

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I would not want a muscle car with an auto...... unless the only racing i could do was time-trials. and I had to cheat and dial it in, which would take the fun out of racing anyways.

Frank

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't want a drag car with a manual... Anything else I prefer manual...

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't want a drag car with a manual... Anything else I prefer manual...
i got 3 words for ya for the track...... parasitic power loss.....sure its alot easier to drive a car with a built auto down the track, but wheres the fun in it, and u lose more power through the transmission that way....

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
+1

Autos are good for consistency though. Guess it would be up to the driver... :)

Pete
I know I can't shift as fast as my car can by itself... It's also much less likely to miss a gear, or go into the wrong one...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think there's more to it than just horsepower loss. I don't think a Top Fuel drasgter even uses a transmission--just a multi-stage clutch. Think about how much power is lost to heat there.

You'd have to look at a curve of power actually reaching the ground to compare an auto and a manual. Parasitic losses might mean something at Bonneville, but in a short violent race, there are some big advantages of an auto. One is that you never unhook, however briefly, the power to the wheels. It shifts instantly and hard. And it also has a torque converter which acts like another gear between each gear. This pulls the engine down even less between shifts because as it hits the new gear the converter will flash back up. Providing you have the right converter and not the one off of your mom's Buick Electra. I think an auto built for drag racing is better than a manual.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A well built auto with a trans brake any day.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Before the rant on the convo, let me say "nice stang"..

Most folk ain't going to like this, but it's fact.

If you wanna test hardware, autos are the way to go. Thing is, if a hardware test is what you want, why even have a driver... Mount it to a rail too and take steering out of the equasion as well, all the while increasing the safety. Person can climb in and press a button to launch down the track for a nifty-fast ride. Be almost as much fun as a world class roller coaster (only cost WAY more per ride).

If you wanna test drivers, go manual and leave the control up to the driver. Bad part with that is, truely talented drivers are too few and far between.

Those who admit to preferring racing autos over manual, admit to a lack of driving ability and preference for being along for the ride rather than in control.

Auto and manual are two different beasts and shouldn't be compared. They're for different types of people.

Me, I admit I'm no racer. If I was doing 1/4s I'd need allot of practice with the manual (and I drive one daily) or I'd need to use an auto...

Agreed with the above post a nicely geared 4 speed would make for better times, unless the 6 speed just adds some highway gears on top of their 4 speed ratios. Might make for some nice autoX that way.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals