• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone do Genealogy / Ancestry?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, I don't know about doing the whole geneology thing, buy y'all have inspired me to start a family tree. I have a hard time keeping track of all my cousin's kids names, so if nothing else it'll be a reference list for that. Might go further up the line as I hear and think about more ancestors.

On that note, anyone got a good FREE site for creating and tracking a family tree? First result on google popped up FamilyEcho.com seems decent, but I imagine that there are better options

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I don't know about doing the whole geneology thing, buy y'all have inspired me to start a family tree. I have a hard time keeping track of all my cousin's kids names, so if nothing else it'll be a reference list for that. Might go further up the line as I hear and think about more ancestors.

On that note, anyone got a good FREE site for creating and tracking a family tree? First result on google popped up FamilyEcho.com seems decent, but I imagine that there are better options
I just play the long game on ancestry, I don't have a dime in it but you can only do so much at a time.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
On that note, anyone got a good FREE site for creating and tracking a family tree?
The only one that I can suggest is FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/united-states/

The website itself belongs to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but it's (quoting from the website) "free of charge to everyone, regardless of tradition, culture, or religious affiliation. FamilySearch resources help millions of people around the world discover their heritage and connect with family members. " From what I can tell, a person's ancestry has always been a big deal with the LDS; and even though a church owns it, there's no religion vibes to the FamilySearch website.

They do aprear partnered with Ancestry.com, but the LDS website is a non-profit. I don't trust commercial for-pay websites, and Ancestry ends up gobbling up all of the smaller genealogy websites anyway.

So what software do you all use for your research? is it in the GEDCOM (i thnk that is the universal format) and is it free?
I don't use any special software. I've never really figured out the GEDCOM thing, either. The way I do my own genealogy is to find, and work from, original period documents which I search out, and download or copy. I found so much wrong information, and mainly lack of information, on my own family that focusing on, and organizing and interpreting, original docs has been the only way I've been able to unravel the true story.

I use excel to keep track of these documents, in spreadsheets that I can work with by searching, sorting and filtering- "organizing". I also use excel to draw my own family trees, which in my case has been essential to keep everybody straight (during one critical period there were six related "John same-last-names's" all living within the same general area!!!).

I also keep all of my notes on each person in a simple .word document, per person. I also use .word for other types of notes, like a series of an individual's movements or land transactions.

The main thing, is to keep all of the accumulated data organized, so that you can find things easily, and to be able to examine and compare the data (as I'm so easily confused!). At this point, after about 25 years of working on it, I have several thousand images of original period docs, on hundreds of people that are related directly and distantly. This part, would be difficult, if not impossible, without using a computer.

Sooo . . . the way I do mine it is free, but takes some time and work.

For somebody just starting, I think that starting a tree on FamilySearch is about the best place to check it out and try things out. Most people will tire quickly of genealogy (it can be frustrating, and takes time and work), others will be fascinated by it and become obsessed with it.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not planning to start into full on family genealogy at this time, just tracking the ones I know right now. I figure it'll be something I can reference if I don't remember who belongs to who.

I tried that family search site first, but couldn't figure out how to add anyone to the family tree.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried that family search site first, but couldn't figure out how to add anyone to the family tree.

You have to find someone to have a kid with...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
But I'm kinda lazy . . .

. . . would you know of any that are already pregnant?

o_O nope, I am not going to ask ...................................

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Sounds farfetched, but I've heard it said that the world population (maybe throughout known history?) outnumbers possible human DNA combinations. So mathematically someone has or had exactly the same DNA as you.

As for myself, I've only gotten records from my grandmothers family on my dad's side. That's Shrums all the way back to a Peter Schram in 1325 Germany. The oral history of the rest of the family is so unreliable as to be useless. LOL.

Now on the Jesse James thing...

Diamond in the rough! Could be a beautiful place to live. So much history comes with this place. Jesse James was known to hide out here at The General Store 29'X60' - originally built in 1896. Original hardwood floors and bar counter remains....
That was from the original ad for my house. Also a local historian published a book linking the original owner/builder of the house to a James robbery a couple towns over. Whether any of it is true or not IDK. Makes one wonder if my house was built with stolen money...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals