• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone ever get this virus?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
wouldn't work for me ......... I don't have floppy support and ever trie to make a boot disk for windows XP? you would need a zip drive and it is very difficult to get the mother board to recognize a Zip drive as the A drive ...... it can be done but the Bios does't want to do it.
Hmmm...well, if you have a floppy IDE connection on the Mobo you can easily add a floppy drive...and they are cheap insurance against something like that...XP has the option to create an ERD (emergency recovery disk) so it might be something to consider for the future...

If/when I upgrade to XP it would be one of the first things I do...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Hmmm...well, if you have a floppy IDE connection on the Mobo you can easily add a floppy drive...and they are cheap insurance against something like that...XP has the option to create an ERD (emergency recovery disk) so it might be something to consider for the future...

If/when I upgrade to XP it would be one of the first things I do...

I don't know ....... I got a laptop and have never seen the motherboard.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I don't know ....... I got a laptop and have never seen the motherboard.
Ahhhhhhhh....makes all the difference in the world...but you could probably get a 3 1/2" floppy to fit into your CD/DVD drive bay for that purpose...depending on the make of course...

But I'm also sure you could get an external drive for it...

External Floppy for Notebooks

Not sure though if the XP version for your laptop would support it to create the ERD or even a set of restore diskettes...but if you get plenty of viruses then it might be a worthwhile investment...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I mirrored the hard drive to my external hard drive last time I had to reformat and reinstall a bunch of crap....... i am going to ghost it if i don't upgrade to XP64 the next time I reformat. infact i can run from my external drive if i went into the bios and changed the boot order, but i don't always have my EHD with me...... anything important to worry about I store online. this computer uses my wifi network but it is isolated from the rest of the network..... I can't even print from here....... I am kinda curious whit this virus does and how it disabled everything so I am tracking to see what else it infects.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if this will help you, but it couldn't hurt to try:

1750: Downadup (Conficker, Kido) infection. The first version of this virus which is recognized by AVG as Downadup (alternativelly I-Worm.Generic) has been detected at the end of November / begining of December, 2008. Currently there are over 300 unique versions of this virus. AVG detects and protects against all known variants of the worm.

The main method of infecting computers used by this virus is a security vulnerability in Windows operating systems, which is described in MS Security Bulletin MS08-67 released on October 23, 2008 (including links for respective Windows update files). Apart from using this security vulnerability, the virus spreads also across local networks by attacking weak passwords for shared folders, and using the Autorun function on removable devices.

To protect against the virus, it is necessary to install the mentioned Windows update and make sure your AVG is fully up-to-date. In case your computer is infected by this virus, it may not be possible to update your AVG correctly. In order to allow correct AVG update, please proceed as follows:

Open Start -> Run.
Type 'cmd'.
In the opened command line windows type the following command and press Enter:
net stop dnscache
It will be possible to update your AVG now. Once updated, run an AVG scan to remove the infection:
AVG -> Computer Scanner -> Scan whole computer
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't know if this will help you, but it couldn't hurt to try:
it worked. it allowed me to update and it took it all of 1 sec to find that worm. learn something new everyday.

thanks.

edit: I had another virus that disabled my processor fan and was causing my computer to randomly shut down....... and here I thought that fan had gone out again, but its running now.

15 min into the spyware scan I had 162 threats........ nothing has been able to update for 5 weeks.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ahhhhh...the old corrupt DNS cache trick...

I've heard of ipconfig /flushDNS...but it doesn't actually stop the DNS caching...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ahhhhh...the old corrupt DNS cache trick...

I've heard of ipconfig /flushDNS...but it doesn't actually stop the DNS caching...
?????????

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
?????????
Just another way to flush the DNS cache...I almost went into a two paragraph explanation but figured you probably don't need that right now...but if you are interested in finding out how the virus affected your browser and updates you can google the command (net stop) and you'll find tons of info...

1stHand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
BartPE

i got some message about some hacktool.rootkit virus that i now cannot get off my computer. looked up some stuff on the internet about it and said "attacker may have full control of your system". Do these people really have nothing better to do? Im in college with no credit cards or money for that matter but if they do have full control of my system i hope they can see this :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
dont use norton. if it expires it slows down your computer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals