• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone here do taxes for a living?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have a question.

Last year in Sept I got married. Prior to that I always got a refund, nothing huge, but between $500 and $1500.

So last year I also bought a house with the new wife.

She has student loan interest, we now have mortgage interest.

So when I got my W-2's I was shocked, my employer only took out $680 on 21K.

My other employer took out $350 on 8K.

Last year I paid in almost 3K in Federal taxes alone. So now I am flipping out because I have no idea why both my jobs stopped taking out the right amount of money. Nothings changed except I now claim Married and not Single.

I can't afford to make a huge payment to the IRS... Why in the world are they not taking out what they should.

The wife gave me her W-2's and lo and behold, her employers did the same thing. Not enough taken out. One of her's was $80 on 4K worth of income.. Are you serious?

If we are married with no kids, how many exemptions should we be claiming? 0,1,2? I would like more taken from each check so I end up with a refund and not owing!!!

HELP!!!!!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The same thing happened to my wife. I can't find her W2 at the moment, but she made somewhere around $22,000 and her federal witholding is only a few buck more than her state.

It's all part of the Governments plan to give you more money in your paycheck to stimulate the economy. You were stimulating the economy....right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
WOW!!! Gotta ask though, didn't you notice at some point that they were only taking out a few cents a check or not taking anything at all?

I don't do taxes for a living, but I know a thing or two about how to get a bit more back. I'm also at least semi familiar with some of the more major laws and I know a lot of good tax people I can ask.

On your W-4 I'd claim 0 or 1. On your actual tax form, you should be able to claim yourself and your wife as dependents. Remember that you can also claim credit against the interest on those loans, any tools or uniforms that you may have bought for work and not been reimbursed for by your employer.

I always like to have them taking a few extra dollars out every week though. Makes for a bigger return at tax time.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The same thing happened to my wife. I can't find her W2 at the moment, but she made somewhere around $22,000 and her federal witholding is only a few buck more than her state.

It's all part of the Governments plan to give you more money in your paycheck to stimulate the economy. You were stimulating the economy....right?

I was looking through my paychecks from last year. First off, I made $6400 less this year at my fulltime job which I am pissed about, but they went from taking $20-$25 a check to $6-$10 a check the beginning of March, 2009. Anyone know if a tax law changed?

I made just over 21K there this year, Social Security took $1341, Federal was only $673:shok:

What the hell!
WOW!!! Gotta ask though, didn't you notice at some point that they were only taking out a few cents a check or not taking anything at all?

I don't do taxes for a living, but I know a thing or two about how to get a bit more back. I'm also at least semi familiar with some of the more major laws and I know a lot of good tax people I can ask.

On your W-4 I'd claim 0 or 1. On your actual tax form, you should be able to claim yourself and your wife as dependents. Remember that you can also claim credit against the interest on those loans, any tools or uniforms that you may have bought for work and not been reimbursed for by your employer.

I always like to have them taking a few extra dollars out every week though. Makes for a bigger return at tax time.
I have mine set to Married with 0 exemptions. That should give me the maximum refund, right? If not, how do I trace down why I ended up owing.

Even with 6K in house interest paid, and 5K in the wife's student loan interest, we still owe the Feds almost a grand.

I am so steamed right now.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the lower the number you have on your W-4 the more you get taken out, so the more you get back when you actually claim more people on your filing.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, the lower the number you have on your W-4 the more you get taken out, so the more you get back when you actually claim more people on your filing.
So should I ask my employer to raise my rate back to the prior "making work pay" amount?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm retired, so I get the same amount in my check every month.

My 2009 checks went up $38.29 a month. My federal tax went down $38.17 a month. It's something employers were required to do by the Feds.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, to make this math easier on my already aching head I'm gonna use my own numbers.

Say you were getting $10 taken out per pay check before, and now you are only getting $5 taken out.

Go back in, file a new W-4, and where it says "extra withholding" fill in that you want them to hold an extra $5 per pay.

The only place where you will hit a snag with this method is that the tax rate is a %. The extra withholding is an absolute number.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IRS WITHHOLDING CALCULATOR

And read this.

It's the Making Work Pay Credit, and multiple income people are the ones the IRS cautioned would probably owe.

It's like running through the dorm from the shower with too small a towel isn't it? Obamanomics.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
IRS WITHHOLDING CALCULATOR

And read this.

It's the Making Work Pay Credit, and multiple income people are the ones the IRS cautioned would probably owe.

It's like running through the dorm from the shower with too small a towel isn't it? Obamanomics.
I thought that was it, but what I don't understand is how come someone making the same money as me at my job is getting more taken out of each check that I am? The employer doesn't know how much I make each week at my second job?

You would think the poor saps like me busting my balls to make ends meet with two jobs would be the ones benefiting the most, not the one losing his proverbial ass.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

They cut the withholding rate but not the actual tax rate that you end up paying at the end of the year.
Generally speaking, most people pay more in SS and Medicare taxes than they pay in Federal Income Tax.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And they said Bush had bad tax ideas. At least we didn't end up paying in on the same income and tax rates we were getting returns on before after his first year in office.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

Attachments

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you are worried about having to pay, change your W4 to show "Married, but with hold at a higher single rate".

I changed mine after I got married in March. I didn't see a difference in my checks.

You can only claim $2,500 of the $5,000 student loan interest. It sucks. I have been going through it since '06. I have roughly $6,000 in student loan interest, but can only claim $2,500. Now that I am married and my wife has student loans as well, we have nearly $9,000 a year we pay in student loan interest. Guess what, we can still only claim $2,500 even though we are married.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are missing the point. The withholding rate is the thing that changed.

In a world where people invest and everyone knows everything, it's better to get all of your money, invest it, pay your tax difference at the end of the year. In the real world where nobody knows anything, you just spend the extra money you didn't realize you were getting and then try to find the money you suddenly owe at the end of the year.

Remember when Bush Senior didn't know what a gallon of milk cost? There is nobody involved in these bright ideas that actually has to worry about their monthly or even annual income. They deal in concepts. They are so disconnected from you that they will never get it right when they try to do anything. That cutting taxes increases revenue is a no brainer. It's a safe bet. It's so beautifully logical that even the Democrats can see it, even though it just fundamentally rubs them wrong. But has Obama ever made $30,000/yr and filed his taxes himself and been happy to be getting a $600 return? No. He figured, spread that $600 throughout the year and give everyone $50 extra a month to spend and that will really get things rolling. Except anytime you have an average and there are 70-million wage earners involved, 15 million of those earners will be fawked by the stupid idea. If he made $30k he would be fawked too.

Seriously, you are seeing the danger of being ruled by Democrats. They mean well, but they don't know anything. The Republicans don't know anything either, but they don't mean well. It's better. Trust me. It's well-meaning people that will kill you. In the largest economy in the world, the smallest and seemingly most insignificant turn of the dial can have huge repricussions. It's much better to not mean well and not do anything. And when you don't know what to do, cut taxes. That always works.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals