• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone rebuilt a 2.8 from a 78?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Get an MSD ignition system.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get an MSD ignition system.
What was wrong with a Duraspark the engine origninally had?

I have it on my 2.8 and love it, stupid simple and easy to setup and maintain.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The only gain you will have with the MSD is the name you can`t get a better spark than the duraspark in my opinion just upgrade to A TFI coil and plugs with the cap and adaptor. Your gonna need to tweak the timing anyway with the cam.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As for "Nothing that a good honing won't clean." Always rem the ridge - if you measure you will see one; otherwise you stand a good chance of breaking a piston. When you hot tank it - which I recommend - the machine shop will guide you on that.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
As for "Nothing that a good honing won't clean." Always rem the ridge - if you measure you will see one; otherwise you stand a good chance of breaking a piston. When you hot tank it - which I recommend - the machine shop will guide you on that.
Thanks for the heads up on the honing, already knew about that ridge. This is my second V6 build. Last one was a 4.0 that was running before the rebuild. So I didn't have to tackle this rust problem.

Did all years of the 2.8 have flat top pistons?

cheers

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The MSD will provide multiple sparks at certain rpms, cant say that isnt a benifit of some kind.

Yes on the high volume oil pump. I dont know if those heads are the same as the rangers 2.8 enignes but you might be able to do head drilling for the water jackets so that it can keep the heads cooler, said to take away a boiling spot in the heads and reduce the chances of them warpping or cracking. Theres a write-up in the tech library about it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
+1 on adding cooling ports on the heads easy enough to do I plan on rebuilding a motor and tranny for my ranger in the near future and add a limited slip rear axle.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No solid numbers, only seat of the pants experience but I just hooked up an MSD box in my truck and actually did notice a solid improvement in low RPM power. It also idles a bit smoother.

I don;t notice much difference above about 2500 rpm, but I'm still running with the EECIV system, once I ditch that and go full Duraspark I'll see how it does compared to just the duraspark box.
Ignition timing isn't affected by the MSD ignition just the dwell angle and discharge. MSD actually stands for Multiple Spark Discharge. It fires the spark plug up to 3 times for each stroke under a certain RPM, I think it said 3000 or something like that. Above that it cuts the number down but the longer dwell angle helps increase the power of the spark. This according to MSD. Now they also recommend using high quality plug wires (actually says right on the box not to use solid core wires because of RFI), and opening up the gap of the spark plugs to make the best use of the higher amount of energy that is being passed through them.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, Ok, I found a great deal on MSD ignition setup. used but in excellent condition, MSD 6AL BOX, with SS Blaster coil. and all mounting hardware: $120.00. I guess MSD wins that debate.

The block and heads are still in the machine shop getting tanked and checked over... so nothing really new to report.... however, we are going to be placing a 2bbl rochester into this build, found one in great condition that came off a 2bbl 350 that we bought the intake to use on my uncles stock car, they wanted the intake and no use for the carb. the rochester will be a good match for the Cam grind and easier to rejet. (more of these around for modding)

laters and cheers

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love a painted engine, even if it is the best looking thing on a truck (like mine). From the looks of that valve cover, I see that this engine is going to look very sharp ( I hope).

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks danger, yes the motor will be painted white, in a red engine compartment, highlighted with black and white trim, should stand out. we are building up a show/custom car for summer crusin' and having fun with. I can't remember the last time I was at a car show and seen a polished up pinto, so this little guy will be a head turner if nothing else. :) Also doing a custom mural (old school) under the hood, so when it is at a show with the hood up she will grab that oh wow reaction. I will keep this thread going as we build her up. not a daily log or anything. just will post up the pics of the work as we near completion.

cheers

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
So I take it the block and heads were in good shape to rebuild and I was just curious does that engine have the thermostat on the lower radiator hose or on the intake manifold to the upper hose.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi kim, yes the block and heads are A-OK for rebuilding, just needing to be cleaned up in the tank. Yes the motor has the thermostat on the bottom hose, strange place for it, however I am sure it is there for a reason.

cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals