• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone tried to buy D35 gears lately?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
And now you know the rest of the story...

As far as members being critical or thinking they know everything and that choice of another member is stupid. Spare us all... and just keep that negativity bottled up. Nobody cares to hear it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
inner 27 splines....outer spindle bearings are certainly a weakness ... when exceeding 35's. no matter the engine.

going to a 513 adds pinion failure to that list..

my engine is a high rpm diesel as well. if you are n/a i can see why you would consider this. if you are running a turbo...then 456 gears look much better all around to me...even 410 gears.....depending on transmission.

n/a with a 6.2 diesel and 37 inch military tires cruises me 75 mph comfortably with a 4l80 transmission. usually i have to drop back to drive and run it on the governor.....

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
inner 27 splines....outer spindle bearings are certainly a weakness ... when exceeding 35's. no matter the engine.

going to a 513 adds pinion failure to that list..

my engine is a high rpm diesel as well. if you are n/a i can see why you would consider this. if you are running a turbo...then 456 gears look much better all around to me...even 410 gears.....depending on transmission.

n/a with a 6.2 diesel and 37 inch military tires cruises me 75 mph comfortably with a 4l80 transmission. usually i have to drop back to drive and run it on the governor.....
you have almost 30 more hp and like 40 more torque and you have 3 more cylinders to help. I’m going with what the countless Toyota and Jeep guys say. And my experience also. I had 410s and 35s with ford 4.0 and after going with 513s. I would never do anything less for a 35 and bigger tire. I wish I would have went with 538s in my ranger. But that’s my real world experience. People don’t gear down when they need to and they get use to the shitty performance and idk just deal with it. I know I was one of them. I was only going to go with the d35 because I could regear it and throw a lunch box locker in it and run for the summer but since Covid killed 513s for TTB d35s it looks like I’m gonna have to get creative on what I do.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
since Covid killed 513s for TTB d35s it looks like I’m gonna have to get creative on what I do.
Sadly Covid did that to a lot of older, slower moving but still moving things.

A guy can't even get a new spindle for a D35 anymore.

On that note, D44 spindles can be swapped on, may be worth a gander if you are going to run 37's to get better wheel bearing spacing and better lockout hubs. I only have 31's, the only thing holding me back is screwing with my wheel bolt pattern.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Quick performance got back to me this morning they claim to have D35, reverse cut gears. The guy was aware of the difference. So I’m going to call tomorrow and order them!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you have almost 30 more hp and like 40 more torque and you have 3 more cylinders to help. I’m going with what the countless Toyota and Jeep guys say. And my experience also. I had 410s and 35s with ford 4.0 and after going with 513s. I would never do anything less for a 35 and bigger tire. I wish I would have went with 538s in my ranger. But that’s my real world experience. People don’t gear down when they need to and they get use to the shitty performance and idk just deal with it. I know I was one of them. I was only going to go with the d35 because I could regear it and throw a lunch box locker in it and run for the summer but since Covid killed 513s for TTB d35s it looks like I’m gonna have to get creative on what I do.

My truck weighs over 6k at cruise weight. So...keep that I mind. That 30hp....isn't enough.

Did you have the limiter raised on the 4.0?

I was taking this as a daily driver jack of all trades rig with maximum fuel economy as the goal...so maybe I am way off...

If driving on the road is the main goal...one really needs to be careful. But since you have done both the 410 and 513 with the same setup then your preferred is an exact known. So that is awesome for baseline.

Under gearing is a constant....most won't deny that.

I have gone too far with gears a few times and lived by the deeper the better for a long time .

I have this same conundrum with my bronco. For cruising ... the 410 gears are almost too low with 33 inch tires. Fine with 35 or 36s.

But 70 mph is about as fast as it needs to go anyway so it's more then livable.

I went with the 33,s for road tires as i still had 410s

getting the snow rating on pavement in a 35in 15 rim for street duty was a 400 dollar difference... with a much lower run life.... So I was happy to settle on 33 for my spare driver.

I was glad we did not get to putting the 488s in it .. or I would have been screwed. Need that cash for the t56...

Of course ..
Off road those gears are way too high with 36 inch tires...making me wish for 513s when in moab.....but a doubler will correct that. For the money a doubler makes more sense.

I had 488 gears with a 300 plus hp in my ranger for some time... Even on 37s, they were way too low for hi-way driving...on 33s it was hell .

33s are cheap when your wasting rubber daily driving freeway.....not as cheap as military 37s....but military tires suck in the snow.

...and that was with an aod.. 456 gears were also too low...but better as long as I had 35,s. I would be married to 37s in my ranger if I had 456 gears.

Can you drive a vehicle equipped with that 5 cyl engine? Any of those you have talked with online close enough to go check it out? I know it was real popular in the mid 2000s in my area....mostly jeeps and old landrovers.

I still think 456 gears will allow the most usability....unless your gonna run heavy like me....and if that is the case.... probably want more engine anyways.

I know I am looking forward to seeing it going down the road.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Because I do and why do I need to explain it to you? I never asked what a D35 could handle. Or anything other than if anyone knew if d35 513 gears are available….. since you must give your .02 cents hear is why I need 513 gears. Because I’m running a OM617 5 cylinder diesel…..this diesel is not like other diesels. Its torque comes on at above 3k in rpm. Like more like around 35k. For big tires I need to go with deep gears. I really should go with a 538. But anyways plenty of people have had luck with 513s and 35s.
No different than the 4.0 then, and the 4.0 works great with 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals