• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AOAA - November 11th 2023

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Asking because I really have no idea what I'm in for or what to expect. I've never even been camping I'm really stepping out of my comfort zone here. The idea of it doesn't bother me as I thought it would so I'm up for it, I just need to know how to prepare. How do you guys usually meet up? Does everyone sort of camp in the same area? I'm so lost.
When there is an organized camping, we do camp in the same area so we can hang out and what not. I haven't looked that far yet, or even if a campground will still be open. I probably should start looking into that.

As far as a beginner getting into it, picking late Fall is going to be a hard leap into tent camping or even truck bed camping and could make it miserable enough that you never want to do it again. You might be better served reserving a motel or hotel room. Leave the experimenting with tent camping for warmer weather and build up to colder weather camping.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Damn, I can't be part of the club yet. I'm just a punk ass cub. Ok. I hadn't thought of the weather. I usually don't complain too much but I have another person I have to think of and you're right, reservations might be a smart idea.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Damn, I can't be part of the club yet. I'm just a punk ass cub. Ok. I hadn't thought of the weather. I usually don't complain too much but I have another person I have to think of and you're right, reservations might be a smart idea.
It's not that you "can't " be part of the club yet. You're welcome to do whatever you want. But many if us have seen people on their first campus get discouraged because they weren't properly prepared. This time if year in the northeast is going to be pretty chilly. It can easily get to 32degrees or lower through the night. So, good sleeping bags are a must. Next is shelter. An all season tent can be found at Wal-mart, or any good sporting goods store. Sleeping directly on the ground can be uncomfortable. A good sleeping pad or air mattress is preferable. Don't forget a manual or electric pump to inflate the air mattress. Then, cooking. You will need pots and pans and plates and bowls and cooking utensils and flatware. And, what are you going to cook on? A campfire works if you have a grate to support your cookware. But it takes time to get the fire going and build a bed of coals at the right temperature. Don't forget an ax and saw to prepare the firewood. Firewood will probably cost money, too. Or, you can bring a stove, either propane or liquid fuel or butane. Also a cooler and ice to keep food fresh. That's just a starter list. Camping in a campground does make it more convenient and easier for beginners. Campgrounds often have restrooms and shower facilities and, often a store selling common things that people forget or run out of and firewood and ice. Camping with a group can be helpful because the group may share the firewood/campfire with everyone chipping in.

I have seen unprepared people on their first campus do it successfully and have fun. There was a young couple next to me in Kentucky last October. I taught them how to prepare their firewood and start the fire, loaned them a hatchet to drivevtent stakes and split firewood and helped them figure out a few other things. It's fun. But make sure you and your partner are ready for the adventure of learning it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
AOAA is in the mountains of PA… October in the mountains of PA is not the time or place to attempt camping for the first time.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
By the way. Sleeping bags work best when you strip down to your underwear or naked. I'm not joking. It helps distribute your body heat more evenly to all parts of your body. If you were to see me in my sleeping bag in cold weather camping, I would be wearing my underwear and a stocking cap because my head sometimes sticks out the top end of my sleeping bag.

I also cheat and bring a dog to warm the sleeping bag.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
By the way. Sleeping bags work best when you strip down to your underwear or naked. I'm not joking. It helps distribute your body heat more evenly to all parts of your body. If you were to see me in my sleeping bag in cold weather camping, I would be wearing my underwear and a stocking cap because my head sometimes sticks out the top end of my sleeping bag.

I also cheat and bring a dog to warm the sleeping bag.
And makes it for a cold morning or night time as you are getting into or out of the sleeping bag since there is no or little to no heat in the tent itself. But you are correct. It helps to put you boots at the bottom of the bag too so they are somewhat warm when you go to put them on. You don't do this if they are wet and muddy, of course.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's not that you "can't " be part of the club yet. You're welcome to do whatever you want. But many if us have seen people on their first campus get discouraged because they weren't properly prepared. This time if year in the northeast is going to be pretty chilly. It can easily get to 32degrees or lower through the night. So, good sleeping bags are a must. Next is shelter. An all season tent can be found at Wal-mart, or any good sporting goods store. Sleeping directly on the ground can be uncomfortable. A good sleeping pad or air mattress is preferable. Don't forget a manual or electric pump to inflate the air mattress. Then, cooking. You will need pots and pans and plates and bowls and cooking utensils and flatware. And, what are you going to cook on? A campfire works if you have a grate to support your cookware. But it takes time to get the fire going and build a bed of coals at the right temperature. Don't forget an ax and saw to prepare the firewood. Firewood will probably cost money, too. Or, you can bring a stove, either propane or liquid fuel or butane. Also a cooler and ice to keep food fresh. That's just a starter list. Camping in a campground does make it more convenient and easier for beginners. Campgrounds often have restrooms and shower facilities and, often a store selling common things that people forget or run out of and firewood and ice. Camping with a group can be helpful because the group may share the firewood/campfire with everyone chipping in.

I have seen unprepared people on their first campus do it successfully and have fun. There was a young couple next to me in Kentucky last October. I taught them how to prepare their firewood and start the fire, loaned them a hatchet to drivevtent stakes and split firewood and helped them figure out a few other things. It's fun. But make sure you and your partner are ready for the adventure of learning it.
No discouragement here. Only moving forward. Only concern is doing things correctly and not bothering anyone with helping. I really don't want to be an inconvenience for anyone. I don't want to but I might have to sit this one out to be safe. I don't want to feel like I'm there but I'm not there. A first meet with you guys has to contain the full experience for me. As for the club thing that was only a joke. You guys make me feel very welcome. Most of you were willing to share seats with me. No matter how "normal" or not that may be to you guys it meant a lot to me.

For future reference, I'm very cooperative and loyal. I believe in breaking bread so if anyone needed anything I wouldn't hesitate to give or chip in. Don't know anyone of you very well but you haven't given me reason to feel I should only worry about me when it comes to a gathering or such.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
By the way. Sleeping bags work best when you strip down to your underwear or naked. I'm not joking. It helps distribute your body heat more evenly to all parts of your body. I would be wearing my underwear and a stocking cap because my head sometimes sticks out the top end of my sleeping bag.
Now I REALLY know I'm going to be missing out!

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was speaking with my girlfriend and she thought it felt a bit rushed on my part and I agree. I can only prepare for the next event at this point(considering it's near). Hope you guys have fun though. For now aside from throwing money at my truck there's two things I want to do:

-Go fishing for the first time
(my childhood was depressing, alot of stuff in my life at this point are first time experiences)

-Camp out a few times
(So I can learn the ropes and hopefully even be able to help some others out)

SGTSandMan what's up with that MRE connection? I know you can get them. Lol.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I was speaking with my girlfriend and she thought it felt a bit rushed on my part and I agree. I can only prepare for the next event at this point(considering it's near). Hope you guys have fun though. For now aside from throwing money at my truck there's two things I want to do:

-Go fishing for the first time
(my childhood was depressing, alot of stuff in my life at this point are first time experiences)

-Camp out a few times
(So I can learn the ropes and hopefully even be able to help some others out)

SGTSandMan what's up with that MRE connection? I know you can get them. Lol.
MREs are over rated and access isn’t what it used to be. The military has tight control on pretty much everything due to decades of doing more with less, even more with even less, and yet even more with more of the less. I’ll just leave it that.

You’d be pleased with the taste and quality of freeze dried meals you can get at a sporting goods store if you want something that doesn’t require refrigeration. All you need is some water and a heat source And they take up less room and have a longer shelf life than an MRE.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
MREs are over rated and access isn’t what it used to be. The military has tight control on pretty much everything due to decades of doing more with less, even more with even less, and yet even more with more of the less. I’ll just leave it that.

You’d be pleased with the taste and quality of freeze dried meals you can get at a sporting goods store if you want something that doesn’t require refrigeration. All you need is some water and a heat source And they take up less room and have a longer shelf life than an MRE.

Mountain house ftw. There's nothing like a bag of sausage gravy and biscuits that has a shelf life of 35 years 🤩

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Those cabins would be a good option. I haven't used them but I have heard good things

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Those cabins would be a good option. I haven't used them but I have heard good things
I'm waiting for my paycheck to drop. It should be in my account tomorrow. If so, I'll make a reservation for one. The price difference between those and the campground isn't that huge. So, worth the extra cost. I'll get one of the ones that sleeps four if I can so there is an extra bed in case someone gets caught short. Last word I heard, the current spending resolution is until November 17th. So, unless something unexpected happens, things are looking pretty good for me making the trip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals