• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Audio NEWB

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, time to bug you guys..

I have a very simple set up that i used in my 95; Sony Xplod head unit, 500w kenwood amp, truck sub box (sealed) and a 10" Wally mart sub; sounded good.

I'm going to be getting a 94 regular cab, and want to know what kind of system i should get. I have no clue when it comes to ohms/frequency etc so please explain. My thoughts were a dual channel amp (500-600w) powering two 8" subs behind the seats..then i want to make a center console an throw a 10" in it, possibly powered by a second 500w amp. Any recommendations? I also want to upgrade the current speakers in the door, but for now, I want the middle-of-the-road stuff as money is kinda tight.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
good to see ya back man. hope this one doesnt over heat on ya.!

id go with a nice headunit of choice.

a nice pair of front speakers. id recommend polk audio speakers, but the choice is up to you.

a nice amp.

and a sub if you choose. but a decent set of front speakers will be all ya need.

www.sonicelectronix.com

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
haha i sure missed the site..lot of life shit went on since the beginning of 09..
if i amped some speakers, would they sound good? I hate the fact of lost space behind the seats, as i like the chair all the way back for me. thanks for the help!

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you havent heard a stereo untill you have heard decent components on a good amp.

if anything, id get an infinity basslink with good mids and an amp with a good headunit.

that thing would rock!!

(hope 4x4fun doesnt read this lol)

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
WOW....

just googled the basslink, and man, that thing is b*tchin!

what kind of head unit do you recommend? I want something the gf's ipod can plug into..i was thinking one with a usb front.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
(hope 4x4fun doesnt read this lol)
you think there are threads in the audio section i don't read? lol
dont know what to shake my head at more...you or the OPer thinking about duel....lol just in good fun

First i would upgrade your HU. and if you can go higher in the middle of the road then lower. it will help you in the long run, and making things easer to mod later. then up grade your speakers. amping speakers is great. its the difference like hispeed vers dial up. but you dont need to amp them right away. then start with subs and what not. but as you peice it together, having good speakers make it ok to deal with as you start to build. nothing worse then a nice 10 pounding (or what ever) and one speaker not working one blown ect ect ect

as for having two different size subs in your truck can get tricky. and do you really want three amps in your truck. can be done, but finding spots to put them and three subs starts to get annoying but all up to you. also if you want two 8's and a 10. you need cross overs for it not to sound funny. if you can find a big 4,3,2 channel amp. you can bridge channels 3,4 together, and have a cross over to it, and have it run the 10. channels 1,2 can run solo to the 8's and have a cross over to them. the hard part is stoping them from going to low in the herts. the cross overs will stop the 10 from reaching the 8's on the top of the range, but you need the 8's to not go as low as 10 can. and it gets tricking to not have two different bass sound comming out at the same time.

good luck:icon_thumby:

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
cool! these are some great ideas.. i am def more mature now; i always wanted to just buy everything at once, but the piece-by-piece thing is something i was considering. This way, i can get good stuff right at the beginning, an like ya said, upgrade it.

what brand of HU is a great starter? If you guys could maybe throw some links in so I could show my gf too..its awesome, this is kinda both of our truck..she gets a big say in the styling, but she can't drive stick yet :icon_rofl:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4x4fun ya beat me to it.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the unit is good. but the preout voltage is only 2 volts. so if you want to amp your speakers. it wont be as clear as it could be.

the ones me and 4x4 linked are 4volt preouts. much clearer sound

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the unit is good. but the preout voltage is only 2 volts. so if you want to amp your speakers. it wont be as clear as it could be.

the ones me and 4x4 linked are 4volt preouts. much clearer sound
if you have the ear (and a lil OCD) for it, look for a HU with DAT, DTA settings, there a digtal timing settings. they let you adjust the speakers output so you hear them all at the same time. most people wouldnt be able to tell really. but its like a razor blade. ones really sharp. stack 6 together and they dont like just the one did. same thing with speakers and subs if there all comming at you a lil off the sound can be a lil dull.

the one me and Blackwidow67 said will, havent looked at others for this option, but i dont need to. and as far as NEEDing another more upgraded HU i dont see a NEED for that anyttime soon

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals