• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto locking hubs

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just got a new to me 2000 ranger 4x4,auto trans,4.0 engine with the shift on the fly switch on the dash. My question is with the truck in 2wd with the front tires off the ground should the front drive shaft move when I spin the tire? It seems to me that the vacuum activated hubs are stuck in the lock position.Shouldn't the wheel turn freely without moving the axle or front drive shaft?

Thanks, Jeff

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Before thinking too hard about this "issue" or spending any money on parts take a wheel off and verify that you actually have auto locking hubs.

Starting with the late-build 2000 MY Rangers they horribly unreliable PVH system was deleted in favor of a live axle that is always engaged. It is entirely likely that you just have a 2000.5 MY truck.

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It has a vacuum line that goes to the back of the hub assy. behind the rotor shield. I was assuming that was for the PHV.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is this the case on just one wheel or both. If both you have to assume that either the control is busted, both have broke or that it is life axle like adsm mentions.

Should be easy enough to look up the build date and see if it was after a the mid-year change adsm mentioned.

It is also possible that they were turned into a live axle like described here. http://www.ranger-forums.com/engine-drivetrain-122/how-pulse-vacuum-hub-fix-9211/

If nothing else from the picture in the above link, it looks like pulling the cap off to get at the lug nuts should let you see if it actually has a PHV hub assembly under the cap.

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now I'm a little confused.I thought that since there was a vacuum line going to the hub that it would be an auto lock hub. But after looking at some of the pictures here:http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml I'm not so sure. The first picture of a hub showing a nut looks like what I have the picture below it with the black cap does not,also at the end of the page there is another picture that looks like what I have.
In looking for the build date, on the door pillar it says 01/00, is this the build date?

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Now I'm a little confused.I thought that since there was a vacuum line going to the hub that it would be an auto lock hub. But after looking at some of the pictures here:http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_35_sla.shtml I'm not so sure. The first picture of a hub showing a nut looks like what I have the picture below it with the black cap does not,also at the end of the page there is another picture that looks like what I have.
In looking for the build date, on the door pillar it says 01/00, is this the build date?
The first and last picture a for a live axle. So regardless of the date, it looks like you have the change that adsm mentioned..

Which in turn means that what you observed is correct. The front axel shaft and such should all move with the wheel.

I don't know why it would still have a vacuum line, but perhaps that is just a legacy because it was modified. Or maybe what you think is a vacuum line is actually a speed sensor line for ABS. I think the speed sensor is the blue cable shown in the pictures.

Anyways, given you have a live axle, the good news is that it seems you have the better of the two systems and that at least that part of it is working correctly.

tamnative

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The first and last picture a for a live axle. So regardless of the date, it looks like you have the change that adsm mentioned..

Which in turn means that what you observed is correct. The front axel shaft and such should all move with the wheel.

I don't know why it would still have a vacuum line, but perhaps that is just a legacy because it was modified. Or maybe what you think is a vacuum line is actually a speed sensor line for ABS. I think the speed sensor is the blue cable shown in the pictures.

Anyways, given you have a live axle, the good news is that it seems you have the better of the two systems and that at least that part of it is working correctly.
The speed sensor!!! now I feel like a complete idiot. I should have known that as I had to replace the ones on my F-350. Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, here is an explanation of model years vs calendar years.

The calendar year starts in January.

The model year starts in June of the previous calendar year.

We will start selling 2015 MY vehicles in about 6 months.

This means that a build date of January 2000 actually makes the vehicle part of the second half of the model year.

It is stupid and confusing, I agree, but these are things setup and done by people who do not live or work in the real world.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals