• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auto start for a manual?

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
I'm moving to fairbanks soon and i am toying with the idea of throwing an auto start in my manual mazda. I know it's not the greatest idea, but who wants to run outside in 50 below to start their truck? any advice?

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think it could be doable, really all you would have to do is disable/bypass your safety start switch on the clutch pedal, leave it in neutral, and remember to set the parking brake!

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had a 1988 toyota with that push button thingy where you dont have to push in the clutch to start it.. i can see it now... left the truck in gear, you find your truck pushing itself across the lawn because your kid is chewing on the start button...|

i only thought of this because i forgot to throw it in neutral more times than not before i turned the key

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Instal is really no different than in an auto, just have to bypass the clutch switch. As for parking it in neutral, you should already be doing that. Those who park in gear are simply lazy. The proper parking procedure is to take it out of gear and set the parking brake. That's why they call it a parking brake. Don't be lazy, use the damned brake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If he parks it with the parking brake set at fifty below, he won't be going anywhere until the weather warms up as the brakes will be frozen on solid. Been there done that.

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
very true martin. ive been there at 0 degrees in anchorage lol

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jasper: if you shift like that in an automatic on a regular basis you will toast a trans quickly and most likely spin a bearing in the bottom end of the motor, unless your auto is built for it, semi manual valve body, stronger bands and springs etc. the reason they give you a selection like that in trucks is to essentially lock out gears. Rather then shift on the fly.

I know multiple people with an auto start on a manual and most will come with a jumper that bypasses the clutch.

And I commute into la daily and have no problem with a manual trans in the city.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals