• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auto to manual wont turn over halpp!

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got everything in and I can manually turn the engine over at the starter relay, but not with the key. Ive searched around for the harness changes to do but havent really found what I needed. can someone please link me to what changes I need to make. I think the truck still thinks the auto is in there, and that it is in gear. I have the clutch switch in and plugged in, so I dont think that is my problem, but maybe, I dont know.

thanks.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was me I would take the cover off the steering cove off.Then you look at the wiring diagram find and test the starting circuit.Tie this live wire together with the starter solenoid it aint pretty but I bet it works.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
two places to look: over by the harness bulkhead going to the engine should be a plug that has green and red wires on it. the green wires should go to the clutch pedal switch and be shorted in start. that should be a black plug that should have been left alone. there is also 2 wires in the trans pigtail, i believe black/white on one end and the one next to it (pink, purple or tan) that needs shorting OOPS thats reverse lights

red/black and white/red are park neutral and they are opposite the locating pin.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a 5 pin plug that plugged into the auto trans. One pin was for converter lockup, two for reverse lights, and two for neutral sensing. If the two for neutral sensing are not wired into the Mazda trans neutral switch (on the passenger side of trans) the engine won't start.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was me I would take the cover off the steering cove off.Then you look at the wiring diagram find and test the starting circuit.Tie this live wire together with the starter solenoid it aint pretty but I bet it works.
Im going to do this if I cant get it to go the right way. Im thinking of just rigging a push button to get it started.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
two places to look: over by the harness bulkhead going to the engine should be a plug that has green and red wires on it. the green wires should go to the clutch pedal switch and be shorted in start. that should be a black plug that should have been left alone. there is also 2 wires in the trans pigtail, i believe black/white on one end and the one next to it (pink, purple or tan) that needs shorting OOPS thats reverse lights

red/black and white/red are park neutral and they are opposite the locating pin.
thanks im starting to get this figured out.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a 5 pin plug that plugged into the auto trans. One pin was for converter lockup, two for reverse lights, and two for neutral sensing. If the two for neutral sensing are not wired into the Mazda trans neutral switch (on the passenger side of trans) the engine won't start.
must be my problem cause they arent. now I just need to figure out neutral sensing, probably the two that piotrsko mentioned and wire them up.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, I shorted the red/blue to the white/black and it turns at the key now. thanks a lot. now it doesnt appear to have spark, so I gotta figure that problem out. any ideas?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
are you getting power to the coil key on then go to the distributor and check for power key on and power to the start circuit disconnect the starter solenoid so your not cranking for that test in the tech library there is a section on TFI troubleshooting that tells you where to look for problems

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
did you change the computer I am not sure but I believe the computer is different

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, I swapped the computer over.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Cool the tech library has all the procedures for troubleshooting your ignition all you need is a volt meter sounds like you close tho GL

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
corroded plug on the neg side at the coil.

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
congrats on a workin truck again

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks. now, i need to bleed the clutch line. arghhhhh

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals