• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auxiliary fuel tank?

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
wasn't too sure where to post this question but here it goes!

i wana set up an auxiliary fuel tank system, but i'd rather not keep the tank in the bed. anyone know of a tank that would be a good fit for where the spare tire normally is, you know, under the bed?

db796

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how big of a tank?

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
maybe 15-20 gallons. bigger would be nice but what ever is most practical i guess.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bronco II tank.

Or if you could find a replacement rear tank for one of the arguably rare dual tanked Rangers. You'll also have to get the valving and such. I know there used to be a thread or two around about doing that, AllanD did it to his Ranger and IIRC Zman did one as well.

db796

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well if it was going to be smaller i would just use a small fuel cell but 15-20 gallons... They do make the tool boxes with them built in but idk what you are going for.

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well if it was going to be smaller i would just use a small fuel cell but 15-20 gallons... They do make the tool boxes with them built in but idk what you are going for.
i have an idea on how i would plumb it, but just have to figure out what tank to use. i'd like to set it up to re-fill the main tank, i figured it'll be a little easier to do it that way.
Bronco II tank.

Or if you could find a replacement rear tank for one of the arguably rare dual tanked Rangers. You'll also have to get the valving and such. I know there used to be a thread or two around about doing that, AllanD did it to his Ranger and IIRC Zman did one as well
yeah, i'v seen some things about bronco II tanks, wasn't sure if they were replacing their main tank with it or not, so you think the Bronco tank will fit in that location?

db796

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea ig u could use a fuel cell for that mabey idk how big they make them tho...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
i have an idea on how i would plumb it, but just have to figure out what tank to use. i'd like to set it up to re-fill the main tank, i figured it'll be a little easier to do it that way.

yeah, i'v seen some things about bronco II tanks, wasn't sure if they were replacing their main tank with it or not, so you think the Bronco tank will fit in that location?
Frames are, IIRC, the same width so the only real issue might be that the tank will stick down a lil, but not really all that bad. You might even be able to work a BII skidplate in there to protect the tank while you're at it.

Of course, you'll have to remove the spare tire bracketry so it will fit right.

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Of course, you'll have to remove the spare tire bracketry so it will fit right.
thats ok, i dont have a real use for it any more. i did a little more digging and found a thread where some one did this mod, they said the only down side with the bronco II tank was it hung low and there was not a good location for the filler tube. i'll have to do a little more research and ask around on how people mediate these problems.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
driving a street-truck, I'm just wondering why you need that much fuel----

gonna spend a week trail-riding?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
thats ok, i dont have a real use for it any more. i did a little more digging and found a thread where some one did this mod, they said the only down side with the bronco II tank was it hung low and there was not a good location for the filler tube. i'll have to do a little more research and ask around on how people mediate these problems.
A body lift and some fab work would likely allow you to set it higher in the frame.

The BII tank is a 23 gallon tank, thus why it is a bit on the large side.

SOME Ranger beds had the extra bend in the floor in the back to accomodate the fuel filler neck, but a lot didn't from what I've seen. I suspect that you could trim the floor and splice in either a patch or the piece from a BII that would allow the filler neck to go where it needs to.

luke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
driving a street-truck, I'm just wondering why you need that much fuel----

gonna spend a week trail-riding?
well, maybe some day, but i just think its cool and might be a fun project:D

A body lift and some fab work would likely allow you to set it higher in the frame
i have 3 in body lift on it already, and tho im not too good at fabricating (i can sure mangle some metal), i'm sure a 6 pack of beer might be enough payment to a few budys who are:icon_cheers:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On a long box 7foot bed the Bronco2 can be mounted behind the axle, though I've
never checked the clearance path for the filler tube.

Though a 2" body lift is more or less required unless you take special pains
to intentionally mount the tank lower than stock, using both frame crossmembers
from the bronco2 donor (the bronco2 crossmembers are different from Ranger crossmembers)

The first issue is that the Bronco2 tank has a higher profile because the floor is higher relative to the frame.
On a Short box 6 foot bed you get two MAJOR interferences besides the height and needing to replace the
rear most crossmember and add in the front fuel tank crossmember from a Bronco2, the first problem is a
big one... that is the tank occupies the space where the left upper shock mount goes, wanna fabricate an
"outboard" shock setup?

The other problem is just as bad if not worse, the filler pipe on the tank is "aimed" so that you have to
eliminate the middle bed mount and a big piece of the bed support box member.
(OR you could relocate the filler pipe in the Bronco2 tank more to the rear (by about 6"))

I was planning on using a bronco2 tank, but even having a bare frame on jackstands a "loose" Bronco2
tank, Bronco2 crossmembers and several years so I could study the problem and I came up empty...

The tank I used in the back of my Supercab shortbox Ranger is the rear tank
out of an F350/F450 "Dually" This tank is PLASTIC and mounts via straps to the skid-plate for the tank.
The skid-plate is in turn bolted to crossmembers on the frame.

In my Case I used a piece of 2" square tubing for the front crossmember and a piece of 2" angle steel
welded to the side plates for my receiver hitch for the back crossmember.

The wiring is factory wiring from a supecab ranger as is the tank selector switch and Six port selector
valve (pressure AND return fuel are normally switched by this valve)

HOWEVER that's where the "Factory" part ends... my fuel lines are hand made.
And the tank selector valve has been disassembled and the O-rings removed
for the valve parts for the supply ports The Pressure side), because I'm
running high pressure pumps in both tanks (I've eliminated the frame mounted high pressure pump)
and the six port selector valve is simply not designed for high-pressure operation
The return side of the valve is running as designed)

What I used instead of the selector valve are one way check valves EXTERNAL to the tank
unit that allow fuel to flow out of the pump but not back-flow.

The reason for this is a simple but critically important one.

THE issue you need to prevent in a multi-tank fuel system is unintended "crossfeeding" between
the tanks, the thing is the check valve normally built into the pumps and in-tank units is notoriously
unreliable and if you are running off of one tank and fuel is leaking past the outflow check valve on
the other tank which happens to be full... lets just say "bad sh!t" can happen and I'm talking "Bad"
by the ghostbusters definition...

IF you intentionally are setting up a system where the aux tank pumps to the primary pump
you are very prone to a disaster caused by operator malfunction"

Where you have the possibility of trying to transfer MORE fuel tank to a tank that has less capacity
than you think...

This can happen in any of several ways, the "elegant" way to avoid it is to set up a system that is
triggered by a momentary switch that "times out" after a period under load...

There is an exsisting way of accomplishing this... say for instance you used the rear window defogger
control from a bronco2 that has a relay driven by a thermo time switch, after several minutes the circuit
switches itself off. the only thing you'd need to determine
is how much fuel would be transfered by each activation of the switch....

I went with a true dual tank system with seperate in-tank high pressure pumps.

This way I am essentially driving around with two high pressure pumps so if one fails I still have a
functioning engine.... the worst that can happen is I lose access to the fuel in the non functioning
tank. This has happened, three seperate times when one of the high pressure pumps simply died.

i should note that I actually have a third tank mounted in the bed (disguised as an aluminum diamond
plate toolbox) it holds another 40gallons.

That tank has a low-pressure pump installed, but that pump has it's internal check valve removed so
that fuel from that tank will actually gravity feed to the tanks mounted under the truck... AND I have
the onboard capability to start a gravity feed without power or pumping... it only takes a closing one
valve that is inline with the tank vent line, opening another line and applying a small ammount of gas
or air pressure to the tank... I have a hand pump for this purpose

I've used both CO2 and Propane to push fuel around.

Propane is good for this puropse because it's LESS flammable and LESS explosive than gasoline fumes
and more importantly unlike air it won't make a bad situation (gas fume filled tank) worse.

If I'm planning welding on (or near) my truck I'm also setup to evacuate gasoline
vapors from my fuel tanks with Carbon Dioxide. But I'd rather discuss "inert gas ullage" of fuel
tanks in a seperate discussion.

Last edited:

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Could probably get a bunch of parts from a 90's f150 with dual tanks. Just make sure the valving has the cross feeding recall already done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals