• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle & Noise Identification

J-Ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
E
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 2wd 94 Ranger. I bought the truck for cheap with no engine or transmission in the thing so I wasn't able to drive it.

The previous owner had lowered it a bit and in the process he put in what he says is a "8.8 3.73 LSD Disk Brake Rear End from an explorer". He weekend drag raced the truck with a turbo'd 2.3L of unknown power level and was his daily driver during the week. He also says the rear end only has 2,000 miles on it since new bearings and seals were put in it.

1) How can I tell what year this rear end is from? Its going to need brakes soon and I dont have any idea what to buy for it.

2) When I am going in the area of 50mph and higher and I remove my foot from the throttle I get a fairly loud grinding/vibrating/ratttling type sound. None of those words individually properly describe the sound but its somewhere in the middle of those sounds. I hear the sound if I am in gear, out of gear, clutch in & clutch out. It really just seems to be speed based. The faster I go the louder the sound is. When I am going approximately 45mph, if I listen hard, I can maybe pick out the sound but its mostly not there. The sound goes away the instant I give it any amount of throttle.

I initially thought it might be transmission becasue the sound sure seems to be coming from the direction of the firewall but the way the sound seems to be there regardless of the gear i am in or not in makes me think maybe its rear end noise.

Any ideas on what might be making this sound? What are some things I can do to help pin-point its source?

Thanks!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the rearend needs to be rebuilt and the ring and pinion need to be reshimmed. Explorers started the disc brakes in 96 and they were pretty much the same until the new body style came in.

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
There should be a tag on the differential cover of the axle that will tell you exactly what year it was made and what gear ratio it has. Looks like this:

As for your noise problem, it could be either something in the axle or possibly the U-joints on the driveshaft or the output shaft of the transmission - you could try puting the back end up on jackstands and the run the truck up to 50 with the tires off the ground so you can at least try to better pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
'95 is when Explorers got the disc brakes, so if it has discs, it's a '95-'01 axle.
Link to page for decoding the tag:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
Note that the MFG date often can precede the axle's model year by 3-4 months (so if yours decodes to Oct '95, it's quite likely a '96 axle).

Grinding/vibration sounds when letting off the gas could be a loose pinion and/or bad pinion bearings.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals