• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Back Again with a 2009 Supercab XL 2.3

Bustedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Greetings folks! Be away for about 5 years. Sold my 2005 2.5 SWB Flareside and just bought a 2009 XL Supercab 2.3 with automatic. It is stripped down! Only options I can see are automatic and A/C. Crank window and manual locks. AM/FM radio! No jump seats. 168K miles. She has been neglected. A quick look shows a bad valve cover gasket leak, leaking water pump, he heater valve/4 hose connecter is leaking and there is a power steering leak somewhere. Former owner died of malignant melanoma and I bought from family. WHAT A CONVOLUTED COOLING AND HEATER HOSE SYSTEM! Really FORD? I know this is a Mazda engine but damn, could you have made the cooling/ heater hose system any more complex? Did you hire German engineers for this? The more hoses and fitting the bigger the bonus?
Will be getting the cooling system sorted out as well as all the leaky components. After that, I will start collecting new and used parts to repair low speed deer impact damage to the left front. Inside is nasty because he rode his muddy mutts around in it on his farm.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the 2.3l DOHC Duratec engine was made for FWD Cars, not RWD Trucks

So mounted east-west the plumbing is not too bad
Mounted north-south requires extra plumbing
If transmission is ever out replace the gaskets and hose at the back of engine, can't get at it if it ever leaks without pull the trans, or engine

Nice looking Ranger

And just FYI in the late 1990's automatics became the "standard" transmissions, optional manual trans cost extra, lol, well on most models
And can't even get manuals on anything theses days

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
The 2.5 “mazda” in my ‘09 escape is a little weird itself, thermostat/housing is down low on the engine block instead of up high on the end of the cylinder head, pcv is behind the updraft style intake manifold (plastic) and you need to take that intake manifold off to replace it. I haven’t looked for the oil filter yet. On the bright side I have lots of room with this 4cyl, could just about mount a toolbox between the engine & firewall.

Bustedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the 2.3l DOHC Duratec engine was made for FWD Cars, not RWD Trucks

So mounted east-west the plumbing is not too bad
Mounted north-south requires extra plumbing
If transmission is ever out replace the gaskets and hose at the back of engine, can't get at it if it ever leaks without pull the trans, or engine

Nice looking Ranger

And just FYI in the late 1990's automatics became the "standard" transmissions, optional manual trans cost extra, lol, well on most models
And can't even get manuals on anything theses days
You gotta be crapping me? The previous owner put a new trans in it. So you gotta pull the tranny to replace hoses? Jeez......................

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
You gotta be crapping me? The previous owner put a new trans in it. So you gotta pull the tranny to replace hoses? Jeez......................
Houdini may be able to get it replaced but us normal guys would have real issues doing it.
by the way, that's a 2002 engine. other than the aluminum valve cover and the intake flapper it is identical to a 2005.

Bustedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
45 pipe is coolant outlet (or inlet, not sure which way its flowing) from the head. it turns and goes towards the front, above the exhaust manifold.
there is an O ring inside it where the next tube attaches.
pump looking thingie is the EGR solenoid.
in the head, exhaust port #4 has a side hole that feeds some exhaust gas thru a tunnel in the head going to the EGR solenoid.
solenoid then allows EGR gas to pass out the front of the head into the intake manifold.

2018-11-30 15.54.18.jpg

2017-09-29 14.24.27.jpg

Last edited:

Bustedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
45 pipe is coolant outlet (or inlet, not sure which way its flowing) from the head. it turns and goes towards the front, above the exhaust manifold.
there is an O ring inside it where the next tube attaches.
pump looking thingie is the EGR solenoid.
in the head, exhaust port #4 has a side hole that feeds some exhaust gas thru a tunnel in the head going to the EGR solenoid.
solenoid then allows EGR gas to pass out the front of the head into the intake manifold.

View attachment 106248

View attachment 106250
Thanks for the info. I must say, I wish I had done more research before I dropped the cash on this thing. If I would have known this, I probably would have crossed the 2.3 off my list and stuck with looking for an older 3.0!

Bustedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
This is same engine in the Miata I believe. I wonder if the MX-5 has this coolant hose maze??????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals