• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad PCV valve symptoms

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
For several weeks I have been having idle issues. Sometimes it would be normal and other times it would be high ranging from around 1600 to 1000 rpm. The high ide got more frequent as time went on. Sometimes when after decelerating it would kind of hesitate when I stepped on the accelerator pedal and then it would jump forward quickly. This did not happen often and only after driving it long time.

I kept thinking it seemed related to a vacuum leak but could not figure out why it was so inconsistent. Then I realized the PCV valve was a controlled vacuum leak and if it was not working properly could possibly give me these symptoms. I felt that it may be the only thing that could do this and be inconsistent.

I had not changed the PCV valve in a while and they are not too expensive, so I decided to change it. The 4.0 SOHC engine has it in a kind of difficult place for accessibility but certainly doable. I have been driving it for 2 days now and idle is back to normal. I have not driven it long enough to experience the hesitation part, but I suspect that is gone too.

I hope this helps anyone else that may be having a similar issue.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sounds like you may have fixed it.

Not a SOHC but OHV engine... I've had a collapsed/split vacuum hose give me some similar idle issues. Not consistent but was definitely temperature related.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good troubleshoot & fix!
I try to remember to replace or at least clean the PCVValve on this 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC, every 33kMiles\4yrs.
Deleted the danged 5/16"CoolantWarmingOxbow+LoopHoses+MiniExchanger+TeeFittings several years ago,
so PCVValve is easier to get at & change now.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I did not delete the coolant loop but I flexed it out, so it is easy to take off of the PCV valve and don't have to spill coolant changing the loop. It fits loose on the PCV valve and most likely does not function as well but is a little better than eliminating it.

I don't know how necessary it is in the climate I have in SoCal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals