• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad ttb spring help

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Well I took the ranger to a hill and hole event and after getting over 4ft of air and landing hard on the d28 I broke an axle shaft and the springs appear to be shot, alignment is out of wack. I tried to jack up the front frame and let em decompress, it only worked on one side. Was thinking of doing a washer lift until I Sas it. Anyone know why the springs would die? And where can I get 3" washers. I did take 1st tho :)

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you bent the beam itself.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Well I took the ranger to a hill and hole event and after getting over 4ft of air and landing hard on the d28 I broke an axle shaft and the springs appear to be shot, alignment is out of wack. I tried to jack up the front frame and let em decompress, it only worked on one side. Was thinking of doing a washer lift until I Sas it. Anyone know why the springs would die? And where can I get 3" washers. I did take 1st tho :)
i got my washers from grainger, i got a box of them for like $18, have some extra but not enough to do a second truck unfortunately.

i have 4" lift springs for a dana 35 if they work for you and i'll sell em cheap because i dont want any more lift then i have.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the truck came down hard, you very well could have bent the frame.
Look at the frame in the kick up area infront of the body mount for stress marks/buckles/boulders in the frame rails. Also look the the door-fender gaps, and look for a bigger gap at the bottom than at the top.
If your alignment is screwy, then I'd bet money that the one or both beams are bent.

I don't think you'll get 3" of washers under the coil (4.5" of lift at the wheel). On all of the trucks I've done, there's only about 1.5" of threads left on the studs.

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
If the truck came down hard, you very well could have bent the frame.
If your alignment is screwy, then I'd bet money that the one or both beams are bent.

I don't think you'll get 3" of washers under the coil (4.5" of lift at the wheel). On all of the trucks I've done, there's only about 1.5" of threads left on the studs.

Ment 3" Od washers. I got em gonna put an inch under the springs should be perfect and last long enough till my SAS

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you bent the beam itself.
I don't think so, ill take a pic of springs the bottom coil almost looks like its going up into the next largest. And they are bowing a bit.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Haha, I thought you were putting 3" worth of washers. That would have been A LOT of compensating for sag!

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals