• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery light on after alternator change

JeffRH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just cahnged to alternator on my 1999 Ranger 4.0 4x4 automatic. I cahrged the batter. The battery idiot light is on. My battery charger said 100%. The battery is 1 year old Interstate. I plan to take it to them tomorrow to have it re-checked. Could I have hooked something up wrong on the alternator? Don't see how. The small plug that goes back in the altenator under the larger plug connector does not stay in easy. The plastic secure mechanism at the bottom of the small plug is not grabbing. Could this be a problem?
JeffRH:dunno:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like either a bad connection or a defective alternator.

JeffRH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There are 2 wire connectors that go into the altenator (not counting one from the battery). There is a larger one that "click" when I push it in. Then there is smaller one that I had trouble getting out of the old altenator. The small one will not "click" and hold in place, Could this be the problem? What is that wire connection called? Can I just splice another one in it's place? ROOKIE HERE!:bawling:

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Are you positive you have the right alternator? I don't have much knowledge about alternators, but I have swapped one from an explorer (1st Gen). The guys at Autozone gave me the wrong one. How did I know? Well, when I got home, the alternators were the same, the only problem was it wouldn't bolt on.

JeffRH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They looked identical. It bolted on perfectly.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, one of the connections at the alternator is a 1/4" spade terminal, this wont click when connected, it just relies on friction to hold it there.

a voltmeter on the battery while you wiggle the wires and mess with the connections will help you track down which connection is causing the problem.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just cahnged to alternator on my 1999 Ranger 4.0 4x4 automatic. I cahrged the batter. The battery idiot light is on. My battery charger said 100%. The battery is 1 year old Interstate. I plan to take it to them tomorrow to have it re-checked. Could I have hooked something up wrong on the alternator? Don't see how. The small plug that goes back in the altenator under the larger plug connector does not stay in easy. The plastic secure mechanism at the bottom of the small plug is not grabbing. Could this be a problem?
JeffRH:dunno:
poor connection, bad cell in the battery, belt is not tight enough. ( or ) part is shit out of the box, seen that before!!

wanebell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
JeffRH,

That small connector is the problem. That connection supplies the reference voltage to the voltage regulator. If it is loose it will cause the charge indicator to light up. If you had trouble removing it from the old alternator you most likely damaged it. Like Wicked said, it's a 1/4" spade. Cut it off and splice on a new one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals