• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

??? bed liner questions ???

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
im thinking about putting bed liner on the bottom half of my 99 ranger. i dont really care about the texture or anything smooth or rough doesnt matter. im looking for durability and somthing that wont peel or chip. what is a good brand to go with but still keeping it cheap?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get the Herculiner DIY Roll-On kit... I think it will run you about 100 bucks or so for the full kit. Short of getting your truck sprayed by Line-X or Rhino Liner, that's the best you can do. Plastic bed liners suck, they're slick and can't stand up to being dropped.

Just make sure you do the proper prep work with the Herculiner kit, if you don't it will turn out like crap.

http://www.herculiner.com/

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
so herculiner is the best? what about the kevlar duplicolor stuff?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so herculiner is the best? what about the kevlar duplicolor stuff?
I've never heard of the stuff, someone else may have though.

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
in my experience the duplicolor will work well also. the herculiner is much thicker however....if youre doing the bed i'd do herculiner, if youre doing the bottom half of the body just for looks i'd do duplicolor as it doesnt go on as thick

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
the duplicolor is really chunky though, is the herculiner less chunky? (smoother) i dont want a spray finish though its gotta have some texture. ive used the duplicolor on a 04 superduty it looks really good, but is a bit too texturous

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
From what I saw on TV, the Duplicolor roll on kit looks about the same as how the Hercuiner turned out on my bed.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used the Herculiner kit (about $80 at Menards) in the entire interior of my CJ-7. It's got texture, but not what I'd call extremely rough. It's all in the prep, as to how it sticks. Mine's been in for several years, and I've not seen any peeling yet. It's what I plan to do my Ranger bed in, later this year.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I used Durakak with good results and it's available in colors if you don't want black. I also used some black Duplicolor and wasn't impressed.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i have duplicolor rattle can on the floor of my ranger. it BLOWS. biggest waste of money i ever made. I dropped a flat top screw driver in the back seat and when it hit the floor it scrapped of part of the paint. it can be scrapped off with a fingernail easy.

Blackdog455

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
140 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
I hurculined the bed of my dads scout II and my scout II about 2 years ago. My scout doesn't have the cover on it and is sitting outside without tarp on it and all that, and here in Washington it rains pretty much everyday. The stuff holds on great and it hasn't peeled yet. It stands up great to the weather. Plan on hurculining my rangers bed in the next couple months.

Texture wise, its not bad at all. Just got to mix it really well to get all those rubber pieces distributed evenly. Looks great as well.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I am doing that this summer with Rino Lining. I got a guy who is going to do it for $75 and it is sprayed on. I might just do the inside of the bed while it is over there. I keep saying I will do the bed this coming summer and never do...lol. But for $225 he will do the bed and the panels for me and he has to prep it all and I don't want to do all that prepping....so...I will do it!!!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
whatever i used, i'd make sure it was a roll on liner, that aerosal spray on crap will just start chipping in a few months.

and as with painting, surface preparation is they key

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I know a lot of people who had it sprayed on many years ago. The work was done right and the liners still look new. If you don't prep that metal correctly you will get a crap job. I am taking it to a reputable shop. They have done this for many years.

FORD2011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel...71 351 W
Transmission
Automatic
did a 04 superduty 8ft bed this summer with duplicolor keevlar and it turned out great. hasnt peeled a bit. goes on nice and thick. all i did was sand the entire bed with a rough piece of sand paper, to get any dirt oils and clearcoat off. wiped everything down agian and applied it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals