• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Been driving a duramax for a few days

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Cliff notes 3 posts down

Since Friday I have been behind the wheel of a Duramax. Let me just say I am NOT impressed. This is my future brother in laws 05' 4x4 crew cab long bed 2500 duramax and as I said I am not impressed at all. A little history on the truck. It's got about 144k on it and he drives it like a flippin sports car and the Federal "whatever" mt's on it are cupped all to crap (I couldn't imagine the vibrations if it didn't have a diesel up front) so they're so loud you can't even talk normally even with the windows up. I put new shocks on it around 6 months ago but it rides really weird. The rear end feels nice and solid but the front feels wayyy to soft and marshmallowy making for an unsettling ride as the fronts gets floaty and the back remains firm and almost harsh like you would expect from a truck built to tow. The engine itself is awesome in that it's a diesel and I'm used to 2.3L of fury but it's wierd too, you get in the fuel anywhere from stopped to about 30 and you can literally count to a mississippi 3 before it gets on it like it should. Now when it's on it she sounds sweet as you hear the turbo spool up and ride the torque back into the seat and pick up the pace good and hard but that lag is creepy. At speed going to pass it's the same story it takes a long 2 count before it'll downshift (if it does) to give any power unless you matt the fuel pedal and then it still takes to long to drop(also supposedly the transmission was serviced sometime this year).

Friday I got it because I had to go to our shop in winston-salem and pick up our bobcat and bring it back. Same story. Pulled it just fine except the extra weight didn't even help the ride. It had way more sway than I expected. Maybe the cupped to crap tires had something to do with it idk. Even with the tow/haul engaged it still had alot of lag when getting up a head of steam for a pass on the interstate. Needing a head of steam in a diesel in the first place is really disappointing because I wasn't close to what it's rated to tow. For comparison a couple months ago I used the exact same trailer to tow the bobcat up to Winston originally but then I used our 07' 2500hd chevy ex cab with the 6.0 gas engine. Yeah it downshifted and yeah the rpm's were up there more than unloaded but it's a gas engine. It was way more composed on the interstate and frankly at that time I was impressed with that chebby and how it handled towing around 12k at 65mph. I guess the thing that I didn't expect the most was the stopping. Both times at the same light I got caught doing 45 but it's a quick light so you kinda gotta hurry to stop. No problem in the 07 (which has 80k on it btw) stopped at the line with no hassle. The duramax even had a little more distance to stop but when I hit the brakes I went huh, mashed em harder, huh, slammed on them, damn, the tongue of the trailer stopped on the line:icon_confused: yeah, yeah, extra 800ish pounds of diesel up front, extra weight of the crew cab vs. ex. cab but still the diesel also gets more natural engine braking.

I mean what the hell, are all duramax's like this? I've driven powerstrokes and cummins and yeah they all got lag but nothing like this. Dodge and ford ride like a truck should, nice and firm. I've only towed with an 05' crewcab power stroke once and that was a mostly empty 24' enclosed trailer and you barely even knew it was there. Is there something wrong with this duramax? Yeah once the turbo was up we were definitely GONE with the trailer but as I was getting the turn signal on and making sure I'd fit in the left lane I had to drop 5mph as a car was going 50 in a 65 then stomped on it as I moved over and wow the typical underwhelming feeling of mashing the gas in the ranger came over me for what seemed like an eternity before it finally dropped a gear or two and took off like it should.

I suppose I'm just venting and wondering if there's something wrong with it because my fiance's brother will get straight up pissed when I draw him out into conversations about his precious chevy's lol. I'm a Ford guy though and through but I admit I love her 09' GMC 1500 and was impressed as hell with the shops 07' 2500hd, but his duramax was all kinds of underwhelming:dunno: In case anyone's wondering I drive dump trucks, for a living now and used to drive whitewater rafting buses where I was a guide so I have been in a few diesels in my time just not many pickup truck sized ones. Of course now that I see it written down, maybe thats why he drives that poor duramax like a race car because you gotta ride the top end to feel that sweet, sweet torque hug lol.

Last edited:

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
To be honest I did not read past the first like 3 sentences. Ford > Chevy!

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
ha, your right^. Didn't proofread, that's a danged novel up there. Welcome to the inside of my head.

Cliffnotes: Fiance's brother swears his 05' 2500hd duramax I'm currently driving is king and drives it like a racecar. I hate it. Front end is a marshmallowy pogostick. No power until halfway up the rpm's doesn't downshift until it's to late. Brakes suck. Towed the same bobcat/trailer combo with it and our 07' 2500hd with 6.0 gas engine and it was WAY better. I want to know if this is every duramax cause this is my first time in one or if he's just killed his. I also realized maybe thats why he drives that poor duramax like a race car because you gotta ride the top end to feel that sweet, sweet torque hug lol.

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So it's got a decent amount of miles on it, he drives the crap out of it and doesn't maintain it and you wonder why it's not driving like it should?

Hop in a lower miles truck thats been maintained and see what you think, of any brand for that matter. My '95 dodge towrig outhandles my 06' work truck, but it's only seen street use and the work truck flat out gets beat on to do it's job...

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I figured, I've been in several powerstrokes and cummins from new to beat on and they all felt better than his so I was wondering if being wallery and only having a top end tug was a duramax thing cause this is the first one I've been in

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My work has three duramax's, and I've driven all of them. They all drive and pull fantastically. It's all in the upkeep!

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I had an 06 gmc 5500 service truck with a duramax in it. I was pleased with its power and it was super quiet. Couldnt even tell it was a diesel until you got into a hard pull and it would get a little noisy. The truck weighed 22,000 pounds and pulled good. At least to the point when I flipped it upside down and totaled it. Only had 17,000 miles on it. Some fool tried to cross the road while I was rolling down it at 65mph. He hit me right behind the drivers door and I ran over his truck with the left rear tires and lost control at that point. It had those small low profile tires on it which made it a handfull to drive.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't believe i've ever driven a turbo diesel that didn't take 2-3 seconds to get up in the boost. That's why they call it turbo lag...

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have friends with them and they either hate or love them...but they still have them around for hauling...take care of something and it will reward you....don't take care of something and it will crap all over you!!!!

'Nuff said'

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I don't believe i've ever driven a turbo diesel that didn't take 2-3 seconds to get up in the boost. That's why they call it turbo lag...
True, true. This one was just SUPER laggy. Since the more dmax experienced state abuse I will hold of my opinionated judgement til I find myself behind the wheel of a few more:icon_cheers: I did admit to being really impressed by the gasser 2500 lol

:shok: Stray is that an ocelot in your avatar?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals