• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beginning to plan, help wanted.

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, I’ve got an interesting project on my hands. Rather than buy a new car I’ve decided to just throw the kitchen sink at a truck that I’ve had in storage for 12 years.
The truck is a 93 splash. It currently sits with the 4.0 (4.3 stroker now) and is lowered 3 inches. It used to be a fun little truck that would surprise 80’s corvette owners!
Before we get to the grand plan I’ll explain my list of things I’d like to change.
First and foremost the ride is obviously that of a tired 90’s pickup truck, the engine, although a fun v6 is no where near the power it deserves, it can’t take a turn without plowing into a tree, and it desperately needs to be updated into more of a resto mod style truck.
So with that out of the way I’d like to make a wishlist and for those that are willing and able please feel free to chime in!
I’ve always thought this truck would be a cool “hot rod” style street monster capable of a lot more than it is currently. Basically the idea is to keep the body as it looks cool, and then replace everything under it. So far I have come to the conclusion that a 98 and above frame should be used for better steering and suspension and the rear end I’ve mocked up a 3 link for a coil over conversion. For the engine I’m using a 95 302 built for a mustang drift car, currently sitting with 12 hours of use (don’t ask) and 506hp. I’d like to use a 5 speed sequential with the 302. We will be using Wilwood brake throughout, the rear end will either be a swap or a conversion kit depending on what y’all recommend.
My questions are; what transmission options are available for a 302 swap that will not require tunnel modification if any, what trannys are recommended for a build like this, I’ve got a T5 with strait cuts that would be fun if the sequential is a no go. I’m also trying to get info on the frame swap. Before I buy a donor car I’d like to have info I’ll need to modify the frame if necessary.
What rear end would be a good starter? The stock 8.8 is lighter than a 9 and it can handle the power we will be throwing at it, if we keep it it’ll be built and swapped to disk. Im not a race car builder but have help from friends that are. I’d love to make improvements to the stock truck, enough to update it and make it fun to drive but I don’t plan to make a tube chassis or enter in any races.
Again thanks for the help ahead of time. Go easy on me!

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Try hooking up with @BlackBII and @JimO for the handling aspect. There's another one out here that stuffed a stroked 390 into a ranger but can't find him again. I seem to remember a lot of firewall mods on that one.

@85_Ranger4x4 did his 302 swap and may be able to help. There's also a plethora of tech articles in the forum's tech section. If it's gonna go fast, it's gotta be able to stop ;) Good luck and keep us posted.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Might be better off keeping the ranger frame and boxing it for ridigity. I believe its been done around here before. That would help handleing.

Big fat tires and big fat stablizers would also help a ton.

I beams can handle under the right circumstances...and would be eaiser then rengineering everything. Just a thought.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you've got a good 8.8 to build that would be cheaper than using a 9 inch, though I personally would rather work on a 9 inch. My truck still has I beams but I would have installed a Mustang II set up or an SLA from a later Ranger if my budget would have handled it. I like T5's better than any of the Mazda 5 speeds used in Rangers but actuating the clutch will take some fabrication where an M5OD could be installed with stock pieces. I'd still use a T5.
We all like pictures< that's a hint.
Whatever you plan to do, someone on here has done it so just ask. Just expect some smart assery.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Whatever you plan to do, someone on here has done it so just ask. Just expect some smart assery.
That was supposed to be a surprise. Though if he was smart and lurked before joining this motley bunch, he knew to expect that LOL

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That was supposed to be a surprise. Though if he was smart and lurked before joining this motley bunch, he knew to expect that LOL
Haha yeah I’ve looked a bunch and book marked some pages here or there over the years. I’m really great full that this resource exists.

JimO

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Transmission
Manual
Hey, sounds like a fun project.
To begin a project make a list of the important goals and preparation needed.
1) Purpose of the vehicle. comfort, autocross racing, drag racing, daily driver, car shows etc.
2) Budget
3) shop/work place and needed skills
4) Time

example; I designed my Ranger to race autocross and to drive comfortably on a daily basis.
Handling was the highest priority and a lot of time was put into designing and building a custom chassis.

I'm currently working on adding electric power steering.

Attachments

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you've got a good 8.8 to build that would be cheaper than using a 9 inch, though I personally would rather work on a 9 inch. My truck still has I beams but I would have installed a Mustang II set up or an SLA from a later Ranger if my budget would have handled it. I like T5's better than any of the Mazda 5 speeds used in Rangers but actuating the clutch will take some fabrication where an M5OD could be installed with stock pieces. I'd still use a T5.
The conclusion that I have come to is that the 8.8 with some tweaking, adding disk brakes and a diff, can handle what I am using it for, and it is lighter although not by a bunch. As for the tranny, thanks for the info. If we can use something bolt it I’d rather do that but if it comes to cutting and welding something to get the over all goal done that’s what will happen. I’ll start uploading pictures as soon as the truck gets rolled into the shop. Still waiting on some decisions to be made and some parts to be ordered.

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Might be better off keeping the ranger frame and boxing it for ridigity. I believe its been done around here before. That would help handleing.

Big fat tires and big fat stablizers would also help a ton.

I beams can handle under the right circumstances...and would be eaiser then rengineering everything. Just a thought.

Hey I appreciate the input! The truck has the lowering beams on it already, rather than try to improve what it has, I’d get more out of swapping to the more modern frame and come out ahead.That being said I have found a 2001 2wd for $300 with a blown 2.5. The frame is in good condition no signs of wrecks and barely any surface rust. My understanding is that the 2001 frame should swap to the 93 cab and bed, anyone have any input?

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Try hooking up with @BlackBII and @JimO for the handling aspect. There's another one out here that stuffed a stroked 390 into a ranger but can't find him again. I seem to remember a lot of firewall mods on that one.

@85_Ranger4x4 did his 302 swap and may be able to help. There's also a plethora of tech articles in the forum's tech section. If it's gonna go fast, it's gotta be able to stop ;) Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve started building the 302, and I am going to be buying the donor truck tomorrow for the frame. I just got in contact with a fabricator out of Florida who makes a 3 link coil over conversion for the modern ranger. He is going to be helping me to some degree adapt a similar system for the 93. Things are moving along! Looking forward to posting some pictures.

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well it is the internet and smart assery is welcomed and expected lol. I’ll be posting pictures once the project starts to take shape! Right now I’m making space in the shop for a 2001 donor truck (picking up tomorrow). First step is to get the frame free and start mocking up. Hoping to have something to show for this week.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Im not 100% sure but i think the cab mounts are slightly off between the early (93-97) frames vs the later. They added length to the cab in 98 IIRC.

Also the frames after 98 became thinner if that matters to you. Or atleast ive heard that

Ifrconditions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting looks like we may be drilling some holes. As far as the thinner frame goes I’ll have to compare them and post some pics in the thread when I get there. We are adding some bracing under the cab and in the rear end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals