• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best 3.0 add on

chasemyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1976/1969
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0/460/302
Transmission
Manual
Ok, i got a regular 3.0 with super 44 flowmaster, throttle cable mod, and airbox mod. What i am looking for is an add on to make a somewhat noticable increase in power, i have around 300$ my thoughts are either headers, tuner, somethin off that tom morano site, msd ignition, or tinted windows, Thanks in advance!

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i'm not really sure tinted windows will increase power :thefinger: lol

but if i had to pick it would either be the tuner or headers

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Headers will add nothing to a relatively stock 3.0, you may even lose some low end TQ, my vote would be a good tuner that would give you ability to tune your vehicle in the future if you had more mods later

JP02XLT

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If by "airbox mod" you mean you pulled the snorkle between the box and the back of the light housing... then I would put that back. All it does is make noise and in my experience reduced power on the butt dyno.

For 300 I would either get a tuner or go with an underdrive pulley kit, you may be able to get the 1.7:1 rocker arms off the Tom M site but thats about it.

JPRanger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For $300, you won't get much for a noticeable power gain. I'd just pocket the money and put it into the truck when stuff breaks or for a future project. Ideally, for one of these

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do the MAF mod, the manifold hot water bypass mod, disconnect your EGR, add an electric radiator fan, and throw in a 180* t-stat. I did those mods to my '00 2wd auto Ranger, and while it wasn't a huge increase there was a noticeable increase in power, especially at throttle tip in. I especially like it that the overdrive (converter lock) doesn't constantly kick in and out on the highway like it used to.

You can also drilled some holes (in the bottom and/or fender side of the box so water can't get in) in your airbox for more airflow.

Last edited:

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
I've netted about 10 horsepower in my tinted windows alone. Definitely look into them, well worth it. Th only other thing I can really think of is a huge decal on the rear window, my friend told me he saw immediate results after adding a Magnaflow sticker :icon_thumby:

timmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do the MAF mod, the manifold hot water bypass mod, disconnect your EGR, add an electric radiator fan, and throw in a 180* t-stat. I did those mods to my '00 2wd auto Ranger, and while it wasn't a huge increase there was a noticeable increase in power, especially at throttle tip in. I especially like it that the overdrive (converter lock) doesn't constantly kick in and out on the highway like it used to.

You can also drilled some holes (in the bottom and/or fender side of the box so water can't get in) in your airbox for more airflow.
What are the MAF mod and the manifold hot water bypass mod? With the egr do you just plug the ports?

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The MAF mod involves grinding away some of the intrusions inside the MAF's throat for better airflow, the bypass mod involves plugging or removing the hot water feed to the intake manifold which results in cooler intake charge temperatures. Check out here (click on the "here" for link) for instructions on how to do the mods.

Instructions for doing the EGR mod can be found here. (click on the "here" for link) There are some better instructions on one of the Ford truck sites for doing the EGR mod, but I can't remember which site it was.

Last edited:

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Leave it stock the 3.0 is a turd anyway. You just need to beat the balls off of it if you want the most power out of it.

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
I've netted about 10 horsepower in my tinted windows alone. Definitely look into them, well worth it. Th only other thing I can really think of is a huge decal on the rear window, my friend told me he saw immediate results after adding a Magnaflow sticker :icon_thumby:
i got nearly 30hp from my flowmaster hitch cover :icon_thumby:

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Buy an U/D crank pulley and Gatorback belt for under $125. Frees up about 8rwhp and 11rwtq and improves fuel economy.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you like the stock 3.0 so much then go start your own thread and discuss your stock trucks to your hearts content, and leave the rest of us alone that like to tinker with our trucks.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals