• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best 4.0 OHV intake

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking at starting a 4.0 OHV build for my BII. I'll be using the 4.0 out of my 98 Ranger. I'll be using new heads and rebuilding the bottom end and looking for options. The 98 has a composite upper intake, but it looks like from pics that there are aluminum uppers available for the 4.0.
So what's the scoop? Are there different intakes available for the 4.0 OHV and is there a better one?

Thanks,

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the composite ones won't absorb heat like the aluminum ones will, the mounting studs for the aluminum intake are also shorter so you'd need to swap those also. Depending on what wiring harness and computer you're using you may or may not have EGR, but both variants come with or without an EGR provision. I'm not sure if the coilpack mounting location on the later design composite intakes will clear the valve cover if you swap to the earlier injectors and fuel rail because you would need to delete the spacer under the fuel rail and the intake would sit about 1/4 of an inch lower.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the composite ones won't absorb heat like the aluminum ones will, the mounting studs for the aluminum intake are also shorter so you'd need to swap those also. Depending on what wiring harness and computer you're using you may or may not have EGR, but both variants come with or without an EGR provision. I'm not sure if the coilpack mounting location on the later design composite intakes will clear the valve cover if you swap to the earlier injectors and fuel rail because you would need to delete the spacer under the fuel rail and the intake would sit about 1/4 of an inch lower.
Thanks. That's pretty much what I needed to know. I'll stick with what I have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals