• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best budget mods for 4x4 Ranger

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thats the one Chinese brand I would Consider getting. I’ve seen a lot of good things about them. Would you say it’s worth it? They have probably gotten better since you got yours too
I put the Atoto A6 pro in my F-250 2 years ago I think. Honestly if I were to do it over, I would not use THAT unit again. Just too slow for my liking. Newer units with better processors and more memory might be a different story.

Not faulting Atoto, just not what I expected. I didn't expect something in par with a then current phone, but I expected better.

Since I found the Head Unit Reloaded app, I've used android auto with it more than the native apps.

Knowing they have likely gotten better with some of the quirks I would say so, user interface was easy, I never did figure out the maps which was part of why I put out the $$ but not a big deal to me, the talking on the phone was good, two external USB was nice to keep a USB drive in the glove box, bluetooth range was about 15' outside of the vehicle but not a huge deal...
I got maps working without too much issue, it was just too slow for my liking. I do like the dual USB as you mentioned, and 15 foot for Bluetooth is more than enough for my needs. I also like to stream SiriusXM from my phone, but that app lowers volume over Bluetooth. Could overcome that with hot spotting and running SiriusXM on the Atoto, but I didn't like hot spotting either. (Might be different with other phones/carriers) I also hated the built-in "android auto" app, called something like easy connect. Once I found HUR, it's been a lot better, but that bypass a lot of what makes an android head unit different.

Not trying to encourage or discourage an Android or Atoto unit, just sharing my experience with the one I have. I think a newer S8 or what ever they have out now would be much better for me, but what I have works well enough for now.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The bluetooth range is only an issue if I leave the phone in my pocket and walk around to hook up a trailer or something, most of the time it resyncs just fine on it's own.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Those look good. That switch box really does look factory. Any way you could get one with green lights to match the factory dash?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Has no one mentioned TRS stickers? the windshield banner alone should give you 10 extra horsepower.

AJ

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I got this switch online from a company that deals in lights for emergency vehicles. I figured it would be more dependable form them than one on Amazon. It looks a lot like the one I saw in a previous post. I bolted it to the housing the passenger side air bag switch is located but it is just snap in place, so I had to add some screws to secure it better. I don't think I spent more than $100 for the 8-inch-wide light bar and switch box.

Attachments

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I got this switch online from a company that deals in lights for emergency vehicles. I figured it would be more dependable form them than one on Amazon. It looks a lot like the one I saw in a previous post. I bolted it to the housing the passenger side air bag switch is located but it is just snap in place, so I had to add some screws to secure it better. I don't think I spent more than $100 for the 8-inch-wide light bar and switch box.
I really like that switch box

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I can't find the name of the company I got it from. I'll look some more and put it on here when I find it. I came with the 3 switches but one was spring loaded so you could push it and your light would come on only when the switch was pushed, I had them send me another regular on/off switch, the funny thing is I'm not using it for anything yet.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
Lefty, I got both the small led light bar and the switch box from SpeedTech Lights. They sell a bunch of emergency vehicle lights. They sell the off-road lights too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals