• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best way to remove manifold studs?

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 ranger with a 2.9 and a rusted out h-pipe. I bought a y-pipe and made a custom flange at the end of it to run a single 2.5 pipe to a high flow cat and a cherry bomb running out before the rear tire. I was looking at my manifold studs today and was wondering if the studs thread into the manifold or just slide through? The right side studs slide through but i'm not sure on the left side due to the rusted on studs. Any ideas?

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 87 ranger with a 2.9 and a rusted out h-pipe. I bought a y-pipe and made a custom flange at the end of it to run a single 2.5 pipe to a high flow cat and a cherry bomb running out before the rear tire. I was looking at my manifold studs today and was wondering if the studs thread into the manifold or just slide through? The right side studs slide through but i'm not sure on the left side due to the rusted on studs. Any ideas?

You're going to have trouble no matter how you go about it. My first step would be to soak it good with some PB Blaster. Is the head of the bolt rusted so bad that you can't get a socket on it?

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, their not that bad. Is the stud threaded into the manifold or does it slide through it?

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
No, their not that bad. Is the stud threaded into the manifold or does it slide through it?
if you are talking about that portion of the manifold that the pipe flange connects to, it is threaded into the manifold. if you don't have any wiring in the way or if you can move existing wiring out of the way, a combination of heat, applied with propane torch, and GENEROUS amounts of PB blast will solve the problem. step one:heat stud with propane torch, get it real hot. step two: spray the hell out of it with PB blast, it'll smoke like a bitch, don't get your face in the fumes. do that 2-3 times and after the last treatment of PB blast, let it soak for at least a half hour before trying to take off nuts. the application of heat will speed up the soaking process by metal expansion, allowing the PB blast to siphon between the threads loosening any rust/corrosion :)

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i took my manifold off to do a freez plug awhile back and all of them snaped except two. use PB blaster the night befor so it soaks in over night. i had to drill the studs out and nut and bolt them. now since i did that i shouldent have a prob next time i take them off. good luck!!

IDontCare

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i snapped off a few too. they just break easy.. replace them all. i ended up getting 2 out with vise grips and the last one i had to drill it and re thread with a tap.. pita! the hole didn't match up so i tried again with the tap and it snapped off in there.. its still in there but it doesn't leak.

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help everyone. I managed to twist off all the studs except one because it didnt have a nut on it. One of them twisted off and would not come out at all, took me all afternoon to get it out by drilling it out. Got the y-pipe with all new bolts put in. Tomorrow i'm going put the cat and cherry bomb on. Then i get to go to summit racing and buy another mandrel bent 90 degree bend pipe and 3 inch tip to finish it all off. Hopefully i can get an exhaust tone i like.

khooper

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Try the Easy-Out. The ones that look like a socket work best if you have some type of head left on the bolt. Drill the hole and insert the Easy-Out, then heat it up before you try to remove it. If all else fails you can drill it out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are dealing the the where the Y-pipe bolts up to the manifolds rather than the cylinder heads right?

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are dealing the the where the Y-pipe bolts up to the manifolds rather than the cylinder heads right?
Yes, sorry if i made that unclear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals