• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

better than stock rotors

lethal_customs00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I need to put new brakes and wheel bearings in my 83 4wd and i was thinking, does anyone make a rotor thats drilled? If at all possible i would like to do better than just oem quality parts without having the truck down for very long.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Haven't seen them for Gen I Rangers in Canada...but the Premium brand I bought has been on my truck for over 30,000 Kilometers and when I had the ball joints done recently there was very little wear on them...Premium pads still looked good too...but mine is a 5 speed and I drive qiite a bit on Hwy and sideroads...so I don't use the brakes as much as someone doing stop and go city driving...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
"Drilled rotors" are not necissarily "Better" rotors.

The problem with the vast majority of drilled brake rotors is they are simply made in china GARBAGE, that has holes drilled in it.

AND, Drilling holes makes things worse not necissarily "Better"

THE issue on Gen1 & Gen2 brakes (And the 1993-94 Gen3's), is that the steering knuckle that locates the inner brake pad tends to wear and this causes inconsistancy in the brakes.

THE improvement to this braking system is swapping on a complete 1995-97 Front axle with the vastly superior two piston brakes.

They don't necissarily stop you a huge ammount better, but they DO give the same pedal feel every time you put your foot on the pedal.

This means that each time you try to stop the result won't be a suprise.

"suprises" are more often than not unplesant...

lethal_customs00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I do have a early 2000s explorer i bought for parts like that but i dont have the opportunity to do an axle swap, thats my reasoning for looking for something to dissipate heat beter than oem replacements. the brakes on this truck already pulse under pressure so its got to happen very soon too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals