• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bII 5.0 FOR THE STREET????

c.c.muddog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985-1988-1995-
Make / Model
(3)rangers.(1ex
Engine Size
(85)2.9,(88)540ci,(95)400bbl,(94)4.0
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys ive built alot of cars and trucks in the past, now im thinking of building a bII w/5.o in it (i have done s/b and bbl v8 swaps in rangers before but changed the tranny, t/case, and the running gear too), this was a deckbuggy on the frame, a buddy of mine gave me for parts (i think just to get it out of his yard), its just the frame, motor and running gear, it dosent have a body on it so i have no idea what year it is, its got to be the early 80's, it has a 2.9(i think) and a carb intake, a buddy of mine told me i could swap the motor and change the bell housing to a c4 tranny's bell, f/w, and starter, what about the torque converter? (do i use the same one that came with the bII tranny?), and use the rest of the running gear, or use a c4 and change the cone&input shaft to the bII t/case, any truth to this??? and will it hold up as a daily driver, or would it be easer to go back to a 2.9 (blah) or upgrade to a 5.0-c4 combo? the buggy dosent have any or mutch emissions on it, so it should be a pretty easy build,... any comments or sug's are very helpful,,,,thanks :icon_idea: :icon_confused: :icon_thumby: :icon_welder: :icon_cheers:beers to ya!!!

Crippled Eagle

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it has a carb it would have to be either an 84 or 85 and be a 2.8.
They put some C5s in Rangers which are basically the same as a C4 but have more clutches and have a hardened input shaft. One has to use a C4 valve body to make them work well. The C5 will handle even 460s if built correctly. The C5 can use the apply piston from the C4 like the ones used in the Shelby Mustangs that had the C4s Basically a C5 is a toughened up C4 with all of the tricks learned about how to make the C4 live longer included.
The C5 can use the C4 bellhousing and bolt directly to a 302 pattern engine. The C5 convertor is junk so don't plan on using it if you have one. The C4 convertors will work. One might be able to find an early Bronco C4 and use the transfer case mating it to a C5 or just use the Ranger C5 wit it's transfer case. Not sure of it ability to take much abuse though.
Ford used a C4 in some of their LTD 2 type cars equiped with 351Ms and C4s. That bell housing can be used to bolt a 429/460 to a C5. I live near Wichita , Kansas and the son of a man that has a shop there builds transmissions for some of the better racers in the country built up a Fox body Mustang with a 460 stroker motor in it and used the C5.
My 2 cents :)

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
speaking of which . . if anyone needs a bellhousing for a c4 or c5 into a Bronco, behind a V6 . I have one. I went the other way and installed a V8. So I have any extra bellhousing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals