• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bluetooth phone call static on aftermarket set up

Josh51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm hoping a car audio guru can help since I'm failing at researching my problem online. Installed a new Pioneer MVH-S222BT stereo and 4 new Rockford Fosgate speakers. The radio sound is great, the sound from all streaming services (youtube, pandora, spotify, etc) is great, but when I make bluetooth phone calls the persons voice comes through the speakers very statically/mechanically. Its fine at real low volume but as I turn the volume dial up higher its gets worse and worse. And I cant keep it at low volume because I cant hear over the road noise.
Ive tried a few things to fix it
* three different phones, but all have the same problem. All phones were Androids
* I done all updates on phones and head unit
* Clutch field sent out a replacement MVH-S222BT but it gave me the same problem
* I've disconnected and tried all speakers individually

Its in a 1986 Ford Ranger and I kept the speaker locations the same, two in the dash and two in the back. The back two used new speaker wires and the front two used the stock wires/connectors. I have a different pioneer head unit (AVH-X391BHS in my 1998 Mountaineer that works fine with bluetooth phone calls. I really think I did something wrong with the install since I have the same problem on two different head units and 3 different phones but I just cant seem to figure it out. But maybe I didnt since bluetooth works fine for streaming music from my phone to the stereo??? Maybe I try a different brand?

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks for your time

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That type of result is usually an issue of the phone volume being turned up too high, which causes a lot of distortion in the little preamp in the phone. Your phone has a different volume setting for each bluetooth device on each app. When on a phone call, try turning down the phone volume and then turning up the radio volume to get to the desired overall volume of the phone call.

Josh51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ruby, thanks fir the reply. i did try that and it didnt make a difference. I did find the problem though. It had something to do with the aftermarket wiring harness that was provided to me that mates between the factory harness and the new radio harness. I ended up getting rid of the aftermarket harness and ford harness and ran new speaker wiring directly to the stereo...probably should have done that in the first place. All good now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals