• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bolt on repair plate for frame?

joecool85

Reaction score
I have a small hole in the frame on my Ranger (http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1402955). I am planning on fabricating a repair plate out of 1/8" plate steel and then attaching that to the frame via existing bolts (new bolts actually that would replace the old ones already there). Luckily for me it is near 7 different existing bolts or holes including two large ones that hold a crossmember in place.

So, what do you guys think? Is a bolted on repair plate like this legal/safe? I know it would have to be done well and upon inspection ultimately it comes
down to the mechanic looking at it as to whether I pass. I have no doubt
it will be more than safe, honestly my mechanic told me I could drive it
with the rust hole the way it is for at least 2-3 years before it wouldn't
be safe to drive, so I don't see how adding this strengthened area bolted on would make it less safe.

Before I bolt it on the frame (and rest of the underside) is going to be professionally sprayed with Fluid Film. The plate would be painted installation so rust shouldn't be an issue. I plan on getting the truck sprayed with Fluid Film every year before winter indefinitely so I can keep it as long as possible.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a patch rather than a fix. Do it right before you have to spend a whole lot more

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I used a piece I cut from a fuel oil tank to replace about 7 " of missing frame web and bottom flange. It was the driver's front cab frame support . The piece I bent up, using a channel bar and clamps. and beaucoup hammering was 30 " long, with a 5 " web and a 3 " flange. It runs from the front suspension past a cross member . I drilled out the rivets in the cab support and replaced them with 3/8 hardware. I used more 3/8 to run the piece aft. I had the hardware, I don't have a welder. It was slow compared to welding. I did a lot of pounding to form the piece, I cut the flange to allow for a bend then reinforced the cut with a strap. The Rat is due to be inspected. It has already passed twice. :D

joecool85

Reaction score
I think it would be plenty solid. That said, in looking at it again I think to start with I am going to drill the ends to make them round (1/4" or a bit larger should do it), then dremel between the two holes and make them into ovals. Should look factory, will keep it from cracking (not cracked yet, but it could happen) and will make it really easy to tell if it is getting worse. If it gets any worse, I'll have it welded up. If not, then I leave it be. I did finally find a guy who can weld it and has the proper setup (business that actually primarily does frame restoration etc), but he is an hour away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals