• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Lines

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 87 2wd Ranger. Ive lifted it 4" suspension already and the brake lines are already snug. I have 33x12.5x16 on it right now and i just barely have enough clearance, so i plan on either doing 2" of suspension or a 3" body lift. Ive looked through TRS and couldn't find an article actually covering brake line extensions. Whats the best way to go about this?

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
1. Purchase aftermarket stainless steel extended brakelines, they don't expand under pressure like a rubber line will and are more durable and less resistant to tearing offroad.

2. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ReplacementBrakeLine_Front.html

If you need an inspection, the 2 hose method may fail due to an unsupported joint in the hose (must be hard mounted by law in some places).

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
1. Purchase aftermarket stainless steele extended brakelines, they don't expand under pressure like a rubber line will and are more durable and less resistant to tearing offroad.

2. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ReplacementBrakeLine_Front.html

If you need an inspection, the 2 hose method may fail due to an unsupported joint in the hose (must be hard mounted by law in some places).
I strongly disagree with the stainless braided lines being more durable. Both my front skyjacker stainless braided lines both came apart after a years use right at the crimped fitting. One blew out while descending a rather steep, tight and twisty hill. Luckily the e brake stopped me short of plowing into a tree.

I now run stock rubber chev brake lines. They are 26" long (more than enough with my 5" suspension lift) cheap, and durable. If they get caught on something they have a little more 'stretch' to them than the crappy stainless braided lines.

Raybestos: BH 38622, BH 38623

There are 2 numbers because there is a right and left side

You will have to make a short hard line to connect the drivers side, and yo will have to remove the metal bracket that is on the hose about halfway down. The are just crimped to the hose and come off easily.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
As far as stretch, the rubber will always outlast the steel. I myself have pooched a line when I wrapped my winch line around the axle (don't ask).

To reword my first statement, the stainless lines are far more tear/puncture resistant. To be DOT approved a stainless line must hold 3000psi according to Gregg's which now makes brakelines.... If you have proper limiting devices you should have no issue with the stainless lines.

***Sidenote*** Gregg's (atleast in red deer) can manufacture brakelines reuseing your old fittings, cheaper then buying new ones.....just found out last week.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Still don't trust them, nor will I ever use them again. My radius arms bind long before the lines would ever become tight. Maybe the skyjacker lines were just junk, but it was enough to turn me off of ever using stainless braided lines again.

JuJu1289

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i have 4" of suspension lift right now, and im doin a 3" body. If I remember right only the front brake lines are connected to the body. Or am i just mistaken and you dont have to extend brake lines at all for body lifts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals