• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brakes releasing, then squeezing backdown before full stop

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have a new to me 1998 explorer 4.0 4wd I just recently acquired.
When I come to a stop my brakes release making an almost mechanical arm noise and the squeeze back down, but they skip as they squeeze down. My brake pedal also goes down some when it releases pressure. I go about 5 additional feet before I come to a stop. I have no abs light and I recently went to Autozone to have my computer read for a separate issue and only those issues popped up which I fixed, which was a misfire in cylinder 4(p0304), and slow response from o2 sensor(p0153). I check pads and they are worn halfway on front, and rears are pretty much new as far ad thickness goes. I didnt take them off, I only checked by feeling with my finger and looking.

I figured my ABS sensor light would have gone off on dash if it was abs, it must be doing this for a reason. I wanted to see if someone knew before I go and replace rotors and pads completely for $200.00.
I heard something about warped rotor demons? I have no idea what people mean by this as far as explorers go. Any insight would be great thank you.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm making guesses is all I can do, like if one pad wasn't being squeezed the same as other three and it needed to kick additional pressure to it, buy if that was true I would out on brake to slow down and feel a pull, no? Like I said, only thing I know about brakes is changing pads and rotors, I've never bled brakes and am afraid to haha.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Inspect the front brakes, minimum.

From your description, I suspect you have a bad front ABS sensor.

A warped rotor makes the pedal pulse once per tire revolution, not what you are describing at all.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, that's what I thought as my sister has warped rotors I need replacing. It just seemed similar so I asked. Alright thanks for the advice.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Damn 108.xx for abs sensor. I need to take off wheels and inspect them. I was thinking 30+, but 108.xx each for Motorcraft abs sensors from Rockauto.com, where I find my cheapest stuff.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know if a ranger with 4 wheel abs, if the sensor will swap over to explorer? It seems at first glance, like I'll have to take off knuckle to access the sensor... I had read up you just unbolt sensor, but it's covered by part or the knuckle.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cross reference part numbers, rockauto makes it real easy to do that yourself

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you might have water built up in the brake fluid. That happens over time and would cause the brakes to fluctuate like that. Hydraulics are fun creatures to work on.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Yay... I guess I'll bring it by ford before I die. I leave advanced brake stuff to the pros. I try to learn but not on the family SUV. Thanks for the tips.

vavet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So have you gotten this fixed yet? I'm having a similar problem on my 2003 Ranger 2WD. I'm afraid it might be the hydraulic control unit for the ABS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals