• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken frame

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mine started as a scrapped U-Haul U-shaped axle, with a spring on each side and the angles it was welded to on each side had been cut just beyond each spring. It was advertised in the paper and I went to see. He had a barn yard full of schtuff and I picked an axle and paid the $25.

a couple years or so later I was working on a Spa and Tub showroom and warehouse and as we we wrapping it up, and each company was packing up, the framers had some angle iron to dispose of and I built a ladder rack for the 87 Ranger and hauled a load of it off

I got a tongue, a light kit, and a tongue jack at tractor supply and stowed it away. My unemployment ran out and I took a job with another company building a nature trail, and day one I got stuck with 2 day laborers and a trailer load of 20ft 8x8" soaking wet Ground contact treated posts to cart down the side of a hill and stand up in holes that were already there. It was one helluva long day, and around midnight I came out of bed with more pain in my shoulder than I could bare. A gf told me to go to ER and I got put on 5 lb lift limit.

After a while I began getting more aggressive with using it, but the pain was so intense it was good I had no close neighbors. I had hoped to do a better job with it but wound up with a small HF 220V stick welder and began welding. I used a 10 inch miter saw with a metal blade to cut, and those 1 1/2" 10' angles to build a trailer onto that axle frame.

I had six hole rims on the 80 Chevy LUV that fit the old axle and that got me on the road, but I knew it was not safe, because in case of a flat, the U-bolts on the axle would hit the pavement.

I had set up an appointment to have it inspected and certified by the TN Highway Dept, and even as he asked questions which included any safety concerns I replied "none".

My shoulder was injured permanently, and nerve damage to this day affects my spine and back but I've lived with it. It took all I had to pay off my landlady, that woman carried me the best part of two years, and when I gave her the check she all but cried.

I bought a factory axle for the trailer and tossed the drop axle, and had a safe to use 4x10 ft trailer with 2ft sides all around and a drop tailgate.

So in effect, I built a trailer onto an axle, and then replaced the axle :D But, it made 4 heavy duty loads 600 miles to home, and an empty 600 mi back to TN for 4 round trips

And those angles on front of that trailer today are where I go when I need an anvil ;)
That’s a heck of a story, sorry to hear about your problems!

We (myself and my dad) bought a small home built trailer that was titled and all for cheap and we knew it needed a patch or two. When I got to poking at it after we got it home, the entire box frame was rotted to junk. Dad wanted to know what to do and if we got screwed but we paid less for it than the axle, springs and title would have cost and all of that was in good shape, it was just the frame.

I got a few sticks of steel, new fenders, LED lights, hitch and tongue jack and went to work. 6.5’x10’ deck (the original deck was like 6’3” but the axle was built for a 6’6” so that’s what it got) and I added a 1’ beaver tail to the end. So it’s pretty close to the original size. I used the big equipment trailer dad has as a rough guide for my design since it’s also a C channel frame. Set the fenders so they only poke up like 4 or 5” above the deck (really wanted to build a deck-over but that would have been really high), but I can build a platform with 2x6 or throw some 6x6 on the deck if I need to be able to clear the fenders for some reason. Put stake pockets down the sides and a bunch of D-rings. Put a ledge across the entire end of the trailer for hooking ramps on and made two ramps.

Tail lights went into protective metal boxes and all of the marker lights are flush mount LEDs. Still need to make something to store the ramps, a spare tire holder, tongue box and want to add some 2” winch straps.

I put an adjustable pintle ring on the front since I hate ball hitches. Mom’s Explorer had a Class 2 hitch from the factory though and nobody makes pintle mounts for those, so I also fabricated my own pintle mount for it.

D8EEAC6A-1790-40ED-ABCC-1EDCFCF8CB57.jpeg

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
TSJ1011, I second what the other guys here say about either walking away from this Ranger, or replacing the whole rear frame. What you have in that picture cannot be safely welded.

It bothers me a lot that Ford did not undercoat its trucks from the factory. It bothers me just as much that most owners didn't think to get this done themselves. This is a common problem for 1990s–2000s Ford pickups in particular, F-150s as well as Rangers, especially in the northern states.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
TSJ1011, I second what the other guys here say about either walking away from this Ranger, or replacing the whole rear frame. What you have in that picture cannot be safely welded.

It bothers me a lot that Ford did not undercoat its trucks from the factory. It bothers me just as much that most owners didn't think to get this done themselves. This is a common problem for 1990s–2000s Ford pickups in particular, F-150s as well as Rangers, especially in the northern states.
I believe they always left that undercoat entirely to the buyer. I recall my father talking about it on a 68 Plymouth Wagon. We had taken a trip from Ft Worth to Jekyll Island GA in 66 and meandered through the states along the Gulf coast coming back and he was well inclined to get it done

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Every ford truck I've had always had a thick black tar like coating on the frame. You can tell it was factory otherwise it would be completely coating the under side. Never bought one new though, only older used trucks.

TJS1011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 3.0
Transmission
Automatic

TJS1011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I did find a place in Tennesee but the low price has me worried about whether thay are legit or not. Has anyone used them for parts?

I tried emailing them and it got kicked back so I guess they're not real!

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did find a place in Tennesee but the low price has me worried about whether thay are legit or not. Has anyone used them for parts?

I tried emailing them and it got kicked back so I guess they're not real!

The address on the website is a house, and a lot of the listings on the website seem strange.

Their daily specials include $1000 off a $1200 auburn selectable locker and $900 off a $1000 brush guard.

TJS1011

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
The address on the website is a house, and a lot of the listings on the website seem strange.

Their daily specials include $1000 off a $1200 auburn selectable locker and $900 off a $1000 brush guard.
They're obviouly a scam, I found the samething about the address, etc. Thanks for looking

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

I believe they changed the quality of the steel. I also blame rubberized undercoating. I know some degree of the history of all my vehicles. My 88 and 89 Bronco IIs lived in the rust belt their whole lives. Frames are light surface rust only, no undercoating. The two I’ve stripped and scrapped (wrecked, not by me) were not undercoated and light surface rust only. My choptop is near perfect body wise. The rust that’s there is largely my fault. Body on my 88 is worse, but nowhere near my 95 F-150 or either 00 Ranger.

My 92 lived outside in the rust belt it’s whole life. I did one minor patch where the frame collects trash next to the gas tank. No undercoating, minor rust. Bed rotted both wheel arches. BFD.

My 95 F-150 needs a new cab and frame. I have a donor lined up. Rubberized undercoated at some point. Donor doesn’t appear to be undercoated.

My Blue 00 Ranger isn’t in terrible shape, but not as good as my older RBVs. Never undercoated. Dad’s 00 Ranger, never undercoated, very little rust. Dad’s 99, never undercoated, very little rust. My 00 green Ranger, undercoated, lots of rust. Rear frame section was off a non-undercoated 2wd, light surface rust only.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
duransbodyshop.net
Registered toREDACTED FOR PRIVACY
Emailinfo@domain-contact.org
Last UpdatedNov 01, 2022
Expires OnNov 01, 2023
RegistrarKey-Systems GmbH
Name Serversa.share-dns.com b.share-dns.net

Their site is registered for one year, the least you can possibly do one, they probably have a hundred of them and change them daily

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just looked under the Ranger and the Explorer too and found no sign of any undercoating. The back end of the 96 Explorer has a reddish tint that first made me think of red oxide primer but it could be simple over spray of the red paint that's on it, or maybe meant to dress up the spare tire bay a bit. The Ranger was made in Minnesota and if anyplace needs an undercoating I'd say there it does

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Who needs shocks...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals