• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II V8 swap cooling system question

d2_willys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have read several of the posts regarding radiators that work for the 302 swap into Rangers and Bronco II's.

I owned an 84 Bronco II years ago and bought it new. I had the 2.8L and C5 auto, but what I wanted to know is if the stock radiator (3 row) would cool sufficiently with the V8? It did a great job on the hottest of days, even with the A/C blasting away.

Any help would be appreciated.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
What many have done (including myself) is use a radiator from a gen 1 explorer or ranger with a 4.0L and auto trans...I am getting a rad from summit racing for around $140, all aluminum including the tanks...I have a stock 4.0L auto radiator now and it does the job, but mine is leaking, so for what it would cost me to buy a new one, I am upgrading to all aluminum at the same time..
SVT

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have read several of the posts regarding radiators that work for the 302 swap into Rangers and Bronco II's.

I owned an 84 Bronco II years ago and bought it new. I had the 2.8L and C5 auto, but what I wanted to know is if the stock radiator (3 row) would cool sufficiently with the V8? It did a great job on the hottest of days, even with the A/C blasting away.

Any help would be appreciated.
It's not just the radiator selection that you're dealing with here but the FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) on the motor itself, in any Ranger swap, it's not the width of the motor, but the length averall that factors into radiator selection and positioning of it to clear the water pump pulley.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm using a 94 Mustang V8 rad with E-fan and shroud tucked under the core support.
84 crown Vic FEAD single serp belt.
It took a lot of trimming but it will idle all day in 90* heat at 200* with the fan running the low side.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes there are several factors that will vary from swap to swap..

I am running a 302 out of a 90 mustang GT and using a stock 94 explorer radiator (1 core) and it cools it just fine. I have had it out in 90 degree temps no issues.

However, the only reason I decided to run the 1 core is because the parts store gave me the wrong one. I really should have put in the two core which is used in the 94 explorer with A/C and auto. It would have provided better cooling capability, but as i mentioned there are no issues with overheating on my swap. I also am using a pusher fan in front of the radiator for what it's worth.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes there are several factors that will vary from swap to swap..

I am running a 302 out of a 90 mustang GT and using a stock 94 explorer radiator (1 core) and it cools it just fine. I have had it out in 90 degree temps no issues.

However, the only reason I decided to run the 1 core is because the parts store gave me the wrong one. I really should have put in the two core which is used in the 94 explorer with A/C and auto. It would have provided better cooling capability, but as i mentioned there are no issues with overheating on my swap. I also am using a pusher fan in front of the radiator for what it's worth.
How does that work?

Seems when it is really hot (95 degrees) the faster I go the hotter it gets. I can drive around town all day but it doesn't take much hwy time before she gets hot. Dunny if the tranny coolers are blocking too much air or what the deal is.

2500cfm pusher in front of a 2 core explorer rad.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
mine seems to heat up the most at idle.. I notice a drop in temp when I am cruising. I just have the transmission lines running to the radiator (which i'm not sure if that is better or not?) I thought about getting a trans cooler but like u mentioned it would seem like an obstruction to the already small radiator. Conversely, the transmission maybe stealing some of the cooling capacity from the radiator by having it hooked up like I do. But I will say i am very pleased even impressed with the temps my engine is running at, even on days with worst conditions for that small 1 core.

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The pusher fan I am using is a Procomp 16"..it's a cheapie... but this thing works well.. not quite as well as the taurus fan on my mustang but for the price it was a good solution to my BII experiment/swap

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My FEAD is too close to use the built in cooler, I used the stock cooler from the A4LD and added another aftermarket one to compensate for the lack of a rad cooler potentially more heat producing setup.

I am using a 16" Flex-Cool.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals