• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

build or buy

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so when i get back i was planning on buying a new truck/maybe a off roadable SUV. nothing big, just for snow, or camping poking around ect. 2-3inch lift 31-33 just usefull nothing big.

iv been looking around. and i cant really find anything. i dont want full size, iv looked at another ranger, taco, fronter, jeeps.

my questions were, i will have some were in 25k in the bank when i come home and free of all dept. is it more feasable to trade my lancer in and get something that fits most of what i want. and just own it.

or having that kinda of funding on hand find something in the 4-5 k range and build it. i know you can blow 25k on truck and be no were near done. but providing you did most of it you self could you make lets say 2002 ranger with 170k on the clock run another 170k.........new bearings, seals, new under paint. new suspension. maybe a rebult tranny, and a 10-10-10 on the motor.

can it be done? is it worth it?

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
build....always build.otherwise you are just getting someone elses dream machine.25k can build a nice rig if you do the work yourself.

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
25k can build you exactly what you want and you still wont blow all 25k of it

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to buy something for the 25k range good luck...not much out there for that price that will have what you want on it. You can buy a new stock Jeep...just stock. I would just buy a three year old truck with low mileage and put what you want on it. You will be much better ahead. If you are not looking at Rangers then I would buy a Tacoma double cab and put what I want on it. one of my buddies bought a really nice Tacoma double cab
4wd ('06) this March with 28,000 miles on it. He added a lift and then he bought some neat wheels and tires (35 inch KO's) and put on a winch and has only like $21,000 in the truck. Really neat truck. It will last a long time as well. Toyota makes a great truck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Build dude. My B2 project should end up costing me less than 25K (in today's money at least) and that project is going to require me to buy a bronco 2 and an F-250.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to buy something for the 25k range good luck...not much out there for that price that will have what you want on it..
i run into just the reverse. i dont mind spending 28-30k on a truck if it were perfect. but every build your own i go to. i cant get what i want with out a crap load of stuff i dont want. it wouldnt be bad if it were like $500 of stuff i dont want. but its like 2k worth of crap. or stuff i cant remove later. i think compact double cabs are retarted, more so when they force you to have a 4 foot bed

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
i run into just the reverse. i dont mind spending 28-30k on a truck if it were perfect. but every build your own i go to. i cant get what i want with out a crap load of stuff i dont want. it wouldnt be bad if it were like $500 of stuff i dont want. but its like 2k worth of crap. or stuff i cant remove later. i think compact double cabs are retarted, more so when they force you to have a 4 foot bed

So what if you don't have a large bed. I have owned all kinds of Jeeps, and trucks and I have had two Bronco II's. I don't care for a full size bed. I could get my dirt bikes in my Ranger 4 door with out in issues when I had my bikes. I even got two on my MX bikes in the back of my last Bronco II (89). I had to use a ramp and take it with me...but then, I love roof racks!! That's what they are for.
I have a full size spare tire mounted in my Ranger's bed (33x12.5) and a bed extender as well. I can still put a bike back there if I need to. But to tell you the truth...I might bob the bed next summer. I would like it just a bit shorter. We are all different...right? Most workers who really need a full size bed get them (new or used). If you really need to have one are you gonna use it every day? No?? Then it is a waste ...jut my .02 worth.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
no your right. i wont use it every day. id be ok with a 6foot bed. but never staying in the same place long. when i use it. i really use it. a second trip can be an 12 hour 400 mile ordeal. and it boils down to spending alot of money on something that's just "ok", i think i might end up getting an "OK" late model. putting half down, then making it just right. and dump the left over on the balance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a 2.9 super cab, 6 foot bed (and yes, it's at least 6 foot because I can lay down in it with a few inches to spare). If run into anything that I have to more that doesn't fit in the bed... that's what the trailer is for. Nice big 12x5 trailer bed. I'll load it to capacity and tow on the bumper.

That ex-cab is nice for some things tho, like stowing stuff that I don't want rolling around the bed, like tools.

If I were in your spot, I'd buy a super cab 4.0 and get yourself a nice trailer to go with it.

But like Stray said, just my $.02.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If I were in your spot, I'd buy a super cab 4.0 and get yourself a nice trailer to go with it.
i had a 3.0l super cab and it was a brute, i loved it. but the seating sucked in the back. a few more inches and a real back seat and i would have never traded it.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Build it! Don't spend more than 15k of that... always good to have extra $$$ around.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2.9 super cab, 6 foot bed (and yes, it's at least 6 foot because I can lay down in it with a few inches to spare). If run into anything that I have to more that doesn't fit in the bed... that's what the trailer is for. Nice big 12x5 trailer bed. I'll load it to capacity and tow on the bumper.

That ex-cab is nice for some things tho, like stowing stuff that I don't want rolling around the bed, like tools.

But like Stray said, just my $.02.
That's whay I have a roof rack and a roof basket...to put stuff up there. But if you need to take more gear then the trailer is the neat way to go!!!!

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
buy an original bronco...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals