• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Burning through multiple TFI modules

DarrenA

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, it seems that I definitely have to check the coil when I get home from work. I will let y’all know how tests out. From my understanding, the oem primary resistance for the coil is supposed to be .44 ohms. That sound right? Electrical stuff ain’t necessarily my expertise.

DarrenA

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1) Does the new TFI say Motorcraft on it? I would try to find a new old stock part.

2) It would be a good idea to troubleshoot. The stator in the distributor msg be the issue. To replace it you’re going to have to pull the distributor, use a gear puller to pull the drive gear, reinstall the distributor and reset timing.
It came in a motorcraft box but it does not have a motorcraft symbol, no. I was thinking that the stator might be an issue, I hope it isn’t because that’s a pain in the ass to do but we’ll see.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can test ohms on a coil, and it will show if Coil is bad, but can not show if Coil is good
That's because Coils operate at higher temps, same for TFI or any ICM(ignition control module), they can test as "OK" but fail when in use at higher temps

So while you can test them to see if they are bad, there is no test for good

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@DarrenA ,
I realise that you are looking hard at the Ignition Module but if I had performed the work on this power plant, I would carefully remove the last component I installed, making certain to...HOPEFULLY catch an installation mistake. Then carefully inspect all the wiring for that component, and the component itself.

I read that you have eliminated fuel as the culprit; did you try to start the engine using starter fluid and it failed?

Is your coil output consistent or is it's output intermittent? There is a ballast resister on the coil that I have experienced a no-start when the resister had failed. The old wires for the coil can also be a potential issue...all corroded inside the insulation.

Is your battery's static measured 11.86vdc or higher. Check all engine bay grounds, ESPECIALLY the battery cables and connections.

Don't give up, you will figure this out 🧐

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can test ohms on a coil, and it will show if Coil is bad, but can not show if Coil is good
That's because Coils operate at higher temps, same for TFI or any ICM(ignition control module), they can test as "OK" but fail when in use at higher temps

So while you can test them to see if they are bad, there is no test for good
In my case I was trying to use the original TFI E Coil instead of the round canister one with Duraspark igntion. It was just flat out the wrong one.

DarrenA

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@DarrenA ,
I realise that you are looking hard at the Ignition Module but if I had performed the work on this power plant, I would carefully remove the last component I installed, making certain to...HOPEFULLY catch an installation mistake. Then carefully inspect all the wiring for that component, and the component itself.

I read that you have eliminated fuel as the culprit; did you try to start the engine using starter fluid and it failed?

Is your coil output consistent or is it's output intermittent? There is a ballast resister on the coil that I have experienced a no-start when the resister had failed. The old wires for the coil can also be a potential issue...all corroded inside the insulation.

Is your battery's static measured 11.86vdc or higher. Check all engine bay grounds, ESPECIALLY the battery cables and connections.

Don't give up, you will figure this out 🧐
Thank you for the tips and yes, fuel is 100% not an issue. I can see the gas being sprayed inside and I have also used starter fluid on it just in case.

Reactions: gaz

DarrenA

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, another update here. I grabbed my multimeter from my garage to check my msd coil and right as I opened the hood, I noticed a little something. The spark plug wire connected to the coil had been completely separated from both of its boots (coil and distributor). All I can assume is that the steering linkage caught the wire, and tore it right off. This does make sense because I was mid-turn last night when it shut off on me. It was dark out and I was honestly too busy flipping shit to notice, so please give me a break lmao. Luckily, I kept all of my old spark plug wires and was able to reuse one. Truck started right up, and I drove it around my driveway for about 10 minutes back and forth to make sure everything was functioning correctly. The only thing out of the ordinary was that the engine stumbled for a couple of seconds in drive. I believe that's because my carburetor needs to be cleaned, but I got an ultrasonic cleaner for that fortunately. Anyway, I ziptied my wires so that they couldn't get caught up in the steering linkage and called it a day. I'll include a picture. As I'm posting this, the truck does work as it should. I'm not going to drive it much until my relocation kit gets here. Also, my new coil was closer to the proper resistance than the old one. Coming in at 0.45 ohms while the old one was 0.5 ohms. I believe oem is supposed to be 0.44 for primary resistance, secondary resistance was accurate for both. After this, I believe my coil is functioning correctly. I will let y'all know how my relocation kit installation goes and if I was found on the road dead again. I'll also include a few pictures of the truck, consider it my introduction to the forum. You'll notice that the oil dipstick probably doesn't look like a 2.8s and that's because it ain't. Turns out it goes to a 2.9 and the previous owner was putting almost 8 quarts of oil in it to make the thing "accurate". Sure made for an interesting oil change. If someone has a spare one lying around I'd be willing to buy it. Anyway, thank you to everyone for their input so far and I'll get back to here soon, hopefully with a fully functional vehicle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well...

I guess you were so tuned in to the module going bad... you didn't even think about checking for spark.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Not my proudest moment…
We all have those now and then.

It is something that you will likely never do again.

Just glad you got your issue figured out.

If you don't mind... I'd like to hear your thoughts on the relocation kit when you get it.

DarrenA

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
O
We all have those now and then.

It is something that you will likely never do again.

Just glad you got your issue figured out.

If you don't mind... I'd like to hear your thoughts on the relocation kit when you get it.
Hopefully, and yes I will provide an update here once it’s installed with pictures.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd get something like these separators instead of bundling the wires together so you don't get induction crossfire. And still check the coil resistance to prevent a future problem.
1712152314298.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals