• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Butyl rubber seal size to buy?

chicago96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm replacing the whole rear window on 97 Ranger. Consensus says get butyl rubber on a roll but they vary in thickness from 1/8" to 1'. What is the recommended size or does someone know of a particular brand I can buy online. Thanks!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I used the cheap common one at O'reilly's. I'm fairly sure it was 3/8ths.

Partwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
What size is needed on the extended cab window? It's on a 1995.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There was only one option in autozone or wherever I went for butyl rope but it might have been 1/4", the next size up wouldn't hurt anything but it's sealed for the most part for the last almost 4 years, I had to tighten the nuts once a few months later but I was being careful when I put it in so didn't go too tight...

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I know this reply is 3 months late but I figure someone else might be able to benefit from my experience.

I swapped in a slider over the summer (of 2023). I used 3/8" butyl tape (from Amazon). I also chose a weekend where the temps were north of 90* (so that the tape would be super-sticky, flow nicely and would adhere to the cab). I also parked the truck in the sun. Try to avoid applying the tape at the base of the studs. If the glass that's being removed was installed at the factory, observe how the tape was applied around the studs. Try to mimic that. This will ensure that you don't need to crank down on the studs/nuts to get the new window to seat properly. Those studs are only supposed to be torqued to ~10 lbs./ft. You can also press on the edge of the glass once the window is installed to help seat the tape and make sure the window is seated.

My Ranger is a 2011 and has 10 studs (5 across the top, 3 on the bottom and 1 on each side). However, the slider I installed only had 8 (3 across the top, 3 on the bottom and 1 on each side). So, I didn't have to drill any holes but if your new glass is newer and has the 10 studs, you have a choice to make; drill holes or remove the two extra studs. I would drill the extra holes as it seems as if you could compromise the glass frame by trying to remove the two extra studs.

HTH

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals