• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C4 or TKO??

87fiveoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had my little ranger since I was 15 or 16 years old my dad, grandpa, and myself built the truck. Over the years I have had the transmission built 3 or 4 times. The c4 is currently at the transmission shop tore apart waiting on my sayso on it. I can't decided to rebuild it with a TCI or PA master rebuild kit or just do away with the auto and go with the TKO transmission. I have been saving for quite sometime now and I have enough money to just buy a brand new c4 or tko. But it will be getting dragged raced and i just don't know about the straight shift in it drag racing. the c4 will go back together with a reverse manual valve body and a transbreak but i can't decide what i want to do. Help me out guy. Thanks

prymetime1

Reaction score
I have had my little ranger since I was 15 or 16 years old my dad, grandpa, and myself built the truck. Over the years I have had the transmission built 3 or 4 times. The c4 is currently at the transmission shop tore apart waiting on my sayso on it. I can't decided to rebuild it with a TCI or PA master rebuild kit or just do away with the auto and go with the TKO transmission. I have been saving for quite sometime now and I have enough money to just buy a brand new c4 or tko. But it will be getting dragged raced and i just don't know about the straight shift in it drag racing. the c4 will go back together with a reverse manual valve body and a transbreak but i can't decide what i want to do. Help me out guy. Thanks
If strictly drag raced, I believe the c4 will net u better/consistant passes. If its dual purpose, I think the 5 speed would be fun. I've debated swapping to a tko also since my c4 hasn't been to reliable for some weird reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

87fiveoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If strictly drag raced, I believe the c4 will net u better/consistant passes. If its dual purpose, I think the 5 speed would be fun. I've debated swapping to a tko also since my c4 hasn't been to reliable for some weird reason.

like i said mine has been rebuilt this will make the 4th time and them SOBs isn’t easy getting in and out of a spot that they don’t belong in. i’m tired of it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there a common issue/problem that your C4 has when it has to "go to the shop"?

Automatics are stronger than manual transmissions, which is why vehicles equipped with automatics have a higher Tow weight rating.

In track racing a manual would be better, because you want to keep RPMs in a certain range for longer periods
But in drag racing automatic would be better, because you want best transfer of power to rear wheels in the fastest time possible, and at the correct shift points for engines torque curve

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have you thought about putting a manual valve body in the c4? keep what ever rpm you want, shift when you want, yet have the strength of the c4 and no clutch pedal

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another angle if you drive the truck on the street much. I am going from a C5 (glorified C4) to a M5R2 for overdrive.

prymetime1

Reaction score
like i said mine has been rebuilt this will make the 4th time and them SOBs isn’t easy getting in and out of a spot that they don’t belong in. i’m tired of it
I hear you on that, its tight and a pain in the ass to keep pulling it out. I'm in the same position, mines been rebuilt 2 or 3 times already also by the same shop. I forget now but I'm pretty sure i documented it in my build thread.

I am losing faith in my shop's ability to rebuild the transmission correctly. I am also considering going with a fully built c4 from a known c4 builder like Performance automatic, Freddy Brown or even dynamic racing transmissions. Fully rollerized, capable of much higher hp levels. For me it's about simplicity and cost. And to go with a tko is probably going to cost more n take more time so I am just waiting for the time to come and make the decision. My truck is not a dedicated track. Is you 5.0 putting down more than 450hp?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I hear you on that, its tight and a pain in the ass to keep pulling it out. I'm in the same position, mines been rebuilt 2 or 3 times already also by the same shop. I forget now but I'm pretty sure i documented it in my build thread.

I am losing faith in my shop's ability to rebuild the transmission correctly. I am also considering going with a fully built c4 from a known c4 builder like Performance automatic, Freddy Brown or even dynamic racing transmissions. Fully rollerized, capable of much higher hp levels. For me it's about simplicity and cost. And to go with a tko is probably going to cost more n take more time so I am just waiting for the time to come and make the decision. My truck is not a dedicated track. Is you 5.0 putting down more than 450hp?

Manual transmission and drag racing ? Why bother with a TKO ? Go with a good ole fashioned Toploader 4 speed. :icon_thumby: Far stronger than a C4. Simple to rebuild (do it yourself transmission) You don't need OD in drag racing.

#1 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I drag raced my 93 306 with a T5. First one was a regular one, it blew up, and I got a T5Z it lasted about 10 years and then finally gave up too. It was running 13.20's 103 with drag radials. 3100 lbs. Very constistant as long as you hit the red line right. A built C4 would last forever behind my combo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals