• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cab swap help

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i started on a cab swap. I'm swapping out an 87 reg cab 4wd with a 2.9 with a cab from an 88 2.0 2wd ranger. Do i need to yank out all the dash wiring on the 87 and put it in the 88? I know its EFI and all, but what about the B.S stuff like the instrument cluster and everything on the steering column? Can i get away with taking the computer stuff for the 2.9 out of the 87 cab and swapping it into the 88 or do i need everything in order for it to run? I'm trying to save time in this swap so I can go wheelin soon

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
just swap the engine harness, should be plug and play for those 2 years i believe. is the 2.0 fuel injected? if not then maybe wanna swap tanks and dash harness to

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just swap the engine harness, should be plug and play for those 2 years i believe. is the 2.0 fuel injected? if not then maybe wanna swap tanks and dash harness to
No it's not fuel injected. Why would i need to swap tanks? I'm just swapping cabs, nothing else. Does that make sense?

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, had a brain fart, yeah it make sense, basically there are 2 harness in the engine compartment, 1 with the headlights, power windows, etc, and the 2nd is the engine harness.

Im not sure how ford did it,but you should be able to pull the 2.9 engine harness(from the PCM ot the engine completely out of the old cab, and if the plugs dont match on the DS finder, then you may have to swap the Dash harness(or atleast the other harness under the hood) or Spice the 2.9 harness in,.

i wish i could look at my 89, to be more specific, maybe be a good idea to look at a wiring diagram, AUtozone.com has free 1 to look at

basically it all comes down to the DS fender, if the 2.9 harness plugs in there, you are good to go, if not you have some work

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I did sortof a reverse of this...put a 2.3 (using a 2.0 harness) into a king cab ranger that had a 2.9 fi...the harnesses are different and you'll need to change them out from the 2.9 into the 2.0 cab.

NOTE: you might want to ignore this post if the 2.9 is carbed...mine was fi so the harnesses are different...carbed 2.9 might be very similar to the 2.0 from the inside of the cab...

The inside harness is much easier to do if you lift off the dash...and that is much easier than it looks...you might want to use a digital camera to take pictures of everything in case you get confused by the connections...because i did...mainly because there was considerable time between the actual swap in from the remove...

make sure you label the images though...or otherwise shoot them in order of one truck tear-down then the other...good advice I could have used...

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I can tell you from experience that the 2.9 does not use the same dash harness as the 2.0. The dashes are relatively easy to swap out though, or you can just pull the bezel around the guages and the dash pad and some of the heater ductwork and you can access everything you need to swap the harness from there. The 2.9 never came carbed, the 2.8,2.3, and 2.0 did though. It is not possible to covert a 2.9 to a carburated setup

Last edited:

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.9 never came carbed, the 2.8,2.3, and 2.0 did though. It is not possible to covert a 2.9 to a carburated setup
That sounds like a challenge! :p lol.

Your already going threw all the trouble of finding a way to swap the cab... its not alot of work to swap dashes while your at it. Just swap the dash and you wont have any headaches.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You WILL need to swap over the "Frame harness", fuel lines and fuel pickup units.

The 2.0 used a MECHANICAL fuel pump, while the 2.9 uses electric pumps
one in the tank one on the frame rail.

AD

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You WILL need to swap over the "Frame harness", fuel lines and fuel pickup units.

The 2.0 used a MECHANICAL fuel pump, while the 2.9 uses electric pumps
one in the tank one on the frame rail.

AD
Why do i need to do that when I'm putting an 88 cab onto an 87 that already has the 2.9 and everything?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals