• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I delete this housing and how?

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to the salvage yard in the morning to try and find one complete.

jhammel85

Finding one at a salvage yard is your best bet, honestly. Ask for a fuel accumulator and if they really can't find it, maybe it's listed as a fuel filter housing. Try car-part before you call around because even though both aren't listed on there, check to see if they have anything for an 88 2.9. Chances are that if they do, they will probably have your part and save you time.

You're not the first one to make the mistake of opening up one of these. They even sell a replacement filter for it, if you have one actually in there. Some years don't.....

Things happen. I don't think any of this makes you an "unsafe" person or stupid. You were just looking to do a tune up on a truck and found out the hard way about something we know not to open. We only know because we've seen a few people over the years deal with it like you have. Do a google search for it and you find countless problems just like this. You might even find a solution to get you out of your bind for now.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
That is what threw me off. My 86 had a filter in there. So I assumed this 87 was the same way. After the fact I remembered the 88 I use to have had it further up the frame rail. Now was the worse time for this to happen.

jhammel85

Does a new filter come with the O-Ring? If not, Is it possible that a different brand filter would have the O-Ring? Might be worth trying...Hopefully it'll seal.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I tried that last night at the parts store right before they closed. They did not have one in stock.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I woke up this morning and with a clear head and tried again. I used a light coat of grease to hold the O ring in place. I was ab,e to use a screw driver through the outlet tube to re position the valve. When I heard an audible click I figured it was back in place. It also stays in place when i turn it upside down. The only confusing part is a small green o ring that was laying in the bowl when i cracked it open. No idea what it went to or how it got there. I also used a light coat of grease on the threads so it would go back together easier. I was able to re install it on the truck with no problems.

The bad news. Now the truck will not start. It will fire on starting fliud so I know it has spark and air. It is obviously a fuel issue. The only variable that is different is that little valve in the housing. There are no leaks so i am assuming the O ring is in place. However, I do nto know if I got that valave working or what the O ring did.

Last edited:

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I just started pulling the housing out again and it is full of fuel. So, fuel it getting to it. But I also have fuel in the lines after it. I am not sure if it is just residual though.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I feel your pain.

My projects always turn into a larger project than expected.

It might be that there is air in the fuel lines that needs to be refilled.

If your battery is charged you could keep trying.

I have no experience with this part and I would probably attempted to take it apart if I was looking for the filter. Now I know better.

Is there a safe way to remove the line from the output side, have someone crank it over and see if fuel is making pass this container?

Good luck.

Ray

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled it again. The valve is no good again. That has to be the issue I think.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Got it. That accumulator had nothing to do with it. The fuel intertia switch went bad on me. I bypassed it and the damn thing fired right up. I spent almost three days on this issue and I never checked the easy possibility first. To make it worse, I know better. I had issues with that switch on other early Rangers I had. I have no excuse.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
it still runs rough but it made the three hour trip I need to make.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The next time I make a mistake, won't be the first. That is how I learn things. By breaking stuff .:D

Glad you found the real trouble and made your trip OK too.

Last edited:

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I was late, but at least I showed up.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have a filter sitting on the shelf in the garage....Ill send it for the cost of shipping.lol I bought it for my 86 F150, but had to replace the housing for other reasons....the new housing is the sealed design with no filter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals